cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dead connection to new laptop

N/A

Hi, I have a new wireless ready HP laptop sitting next to an old PC, both within 1 m of a LinkSys wireless router. The old PC wireless connection works fine with reliable fast Metronet broadband, but the new machine fails to even see the radio connection. The laptop says its wireless LAN is switched on.This leaves me baffled, and the lack of HP documentation doesn't help. Something is obviusly ot set right, but where should I start to look? I should add that I tried linking to the router using the ethernet cable provided by HP, but this also failed. Also, I turned the MS Firewall off. Anadvice (apart from don't get an HP machine)?

Neil
3 REPLIES
john32
Grafter

Hi Neil

I need to ask an "are you sure you switched it on question?" - sorry Shockedops:

I dont deal with HP but use Fujitsu Siemens and they have a physical switch on the case for the wireless - something to do with use on planes Wink

Could you check if there is a switch on the laptop for the wirless?

Testing with the LAN cable is also a good plan, could you try connecting the laptop using the cable currently used by the desktop (as you know this works) and let us know how you get on.

John
paulby
Grafter

Have you whitelisted the laptop's MAC address in your router?
N/A

Hi, Thanks both for your helpful replies. Firstly, the wireless LAN is working on the laptop. I connected it via cable to the router and it worked with no problem. This let me download pages of instructions from the HP website. However, these have not enabled me to get the wireless connection going. So the next step will be look into whitelisting the MC address as suggested. Will let you know how I get on.

Neil