cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

customer service support

N/A

customer service support

I just wanted to share my bitter experience of the customer servicr support i had with plus net.after about being held on the line i got hold of someone.i couldn't connect to the internet with the modem router i bought.the man who answered had to refer to every question I asked.After about 40 minutes on the phone without solving my problem he said he can't be on the phone so long,he has other calls to answer.There was no apology,no courtest in his tone just trying to get me off the phone.In my portal report I found his comments suggesting me to follow the manual of my router.There was no mention about his inefficiency or inability.I was totally disgusted with their support.Anyway, I managed to connect after a lot of trial and errors.
7 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: customer service support

Well i for one have had no problems with there support (the delay to speak to somone is usally long thats the only problem).

I had good advise when i was on the phone to them, if you sorted it out it cannot of been a big problem.

cUnDaLl

--
1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

I've got to admit that I've not had any problems with CS responses, but some people have.

But does this not raise the issue of 'what should Plusnet CS be providing'.

If consumers are buying a 'wires only' ADSL service and a whitegoods product in a modem /router, should you expect plusnet support to help you set it up?

Fortunately I didn't need help (but then again I bought my router elsewhere anyway).

What does everyone think and what does plusnet think, as this seems to be an area that really bugs customers.

My view is that if your going to go with a cost competitive provider like plusnet, don't expect the level of support you should (but sometimes don't) get from a high cost supplier. All in all, I think Plusnet exceed my expectations and thats why I'm happy with them (by the way plusnet don't make me eat my words on this!).

N/A

> I've got to admit that I've not had any problems with CS responses, but some people have.
>
> But does this not raise the issue of 'what should Plusnet CS be providing'.
>
> If consumers are buying a 'wires only' ADSL service and a whitegoods product in a modem /router, should you expect plusnet support to help you set it up?
>
> Fortunately I didn't need help (but then again I bought my router elsewhere anyway).
>
> What does everyone think and what does plusnet think, as this seems to be an area that really bugs customers.
>
> My view is that if your going to go with a cost competitive provider like plusnet, don't expect the level of support you should (but sometimes don't) get from a high cost supplier. All in all, I think Plusnet exceed my expectations and thats why I'm happy with them (by the way plusnet don't make me eat my words on this!).
>
>
>
Excellent post Cliff but just because they are cheaper does not mean a lower level of suppoort my experience of Plusnet have been very good
N/A

I had exactly the same experience as the poster of this thread. Got a 3com 612 router. Set it up with the one page of instructions they provided and had loads of problems connecting up.

Waited 45 mins to get through to support and then spoke to a numpty who followed a crib sheet and had no idea of the questions I was asking him. I fixed it by having a serious mess about with my telephone extensions and by borrowing a spare filter my mate had as the ones supplied by minus-net were utterly crap. Support did NOTHING to help.

My suggestion is to post a ticket on their website through a dialup account and keep plugging away at the problem yourself. With ADSL they seem to be able to set up their end OK so most problems will be telephone extension problems at your end or the ***** filters they supplied with the starter pack.

Remember once it is set up they are very cheap for ADSL so if you can suffer a week or two pulling your hair out and banging your head against a wall it SHOULD come good in the end.

Chris

N/A

Overall - apart from one numpty - the support has been courteous, and I suspect the staff are overworked underpaid etc. etc. But I have had a problem with my line since October, +Net and BT can't find out why. My overall thought is that ADSL is too new for these people to support.

BTW
"Downstream CRC Errors = 1 - lots of crc errors ? -
Is this just paranoia - TCP/IP was built to handle crc errors - are the users downloads corrupted in any way ?We will need the connection to be tested as the only thing plugged into the main socket
and with no extensions or anything else connected.
No test / no fault. Thanks" was one response from +net support all be it isolated incident, I have worked in customer support (IT applications) and probably would expect to be sacked for that sort of customer 'experience'.

Who supports ...
How does anyone know where a fault lies PC equipment, phone equipment, line to exchange, the exchange, the ISP - the experts can't so how can Joe Public ?

N/A

> If consumers are buying a 'wires only' ADSL service and a whitegoods product in a modem /router, should you expect plusnet support to help you set it up?
>

No. They should only provide the settings for their side. ADSL products are low margin and as such end users should not be expecting the ISP to provide comprehensive support on non supplied products.

Those that are provided and paid for should IMHO have full support.

> Fortunately I didn't need help (but then again I bought my router elsewhere anyway).
>
I think for many this will be the case unfortunately with ADSL though it's difficult for a non technical user to prove it's end user config problems if they are unfamiliar with the kit they have installed and likewise the support Bob also struggles to determine if it's ISP/BT/USER at times so you usually then see frustrations and issues arising in places like this or the newsgroups slagging either the ISP or BT or both.

If the basics are done, quickly and efficiently then fault handling becomes much easier.

At times you can only cover so much before eventually some issues hit a brick wall but that's the same with all ISP's providing DSL for example at my previous Job I had a case team which we invoked in those very instances. We basically pulled together a technical team between us and BT and worked with the customer to resolve. Works a treat and instills confidence in the customers.

>
> My view is that if your going to go with a cost >competitive provider like plusnet, don't expect >the level of support you should (but sometimes >don't) get from a high cost supplier.

I have to say that the technical staff in PlusNet appear to be very good. What happens in most ISP Support Centres usually stems from having an incorrect skill split so that your most experienced Bobs are not where they should be and that's the main port of call for the customer which is 1st line support.

Those handling the bulk of the issues coming in need to be sufficiently skilled and more importantly confident and supported to deliver a good one stop solution for the end user so that then leaves a very small proportion of calls or issues for the third line technical teams to deal with through escalation.

What happens if it's not right is the users become frustrated at not getting their calls or problems answered and resolved early, staff become demotivated due to them taking the brunt of the customers frustrations, they feel they are on a hiding to nothing and the end users simply try to bypass them to get to where they think they need to in order for their faults to be fixed by knowledgeable staff.

PlusNet have shown they can provide a very good support services for low margin products.

I think it's also worth remembering that PlusNet do appear to provide support on some areas most other ISP's wouldn't go near.

>All in all, I think Plusnet exceed my >expectations and thats why I'm happy with them
>(by the way plusnet don't make me eat my words on > this!).
>
Agreed. They have some very good people.

Gary
N/A

-snip-
> Who supports ...
> How does anyone know where a fault lies PC equipment, phone equipment, line to exchange, the exchange, the ISP - the experts can't so how can Joe Public ?
>
It's very easy for ISP's these days to provide good support on ADSL with the amount of tools available including those BT provide to help.

So long as the support staff involved in the loop (no pun intended) know and understand how adsl works and more importantly how it's delivered and can troubleshoot and eliminate the basics then it's ***** easy.

It's certainly a lot easier today than it was three years ago when I started on adsl services.

Gary