cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crawling speeds

curleydel
Dabbler

crawling speeds

Hi all,, I've been upgraded to 2mb now for a month or so (on 3GB pay as yer go) and speeds have been between 2783 and 726 KBPS but I've been downloading a few file from "rapidshare" with the above speeds but now when using rapidshare the speed is between 13.6 and 16 KB Sec and takes 35mins to down load 15MB or so. Would I have been capped or anything. The speed seems fine downloading other sites.
MAny thanks people.

curleydel.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

crawling speeds

The speed at which you download things depends a lot on the site you are downloading from and not just your own connection.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and if there is a bottleneck anywhere in the path between the site and you then it can affect your down oad speed.

Suggest you try a speed test measuring what you get from a site like ASDL guide www.adslguide.org.uk and see what that shows you.
curleydel
Dabbler

crawling speeds

Hi John and thanks for the reply, I did the ADSL Guide test and the speed comes back great as Downstream 1915 kbps and Upstream as 245 kbps.
In the last few weeks I must have downloaded about 20 files from RApidshare at very fast speeds, and it's just yesterday and today I'm getting silly speeds as low as 13.6 KBSec. Would +net have profiled me even if the most I've downloaded over a month is 4 Gig,
Thanks all

Curleydel
Community Veteran

crawling speeds

Hi John and thanks for the reply, I did the ADSL Guide test and the speed comes back great as Downstream 1915 kbps and Upstream as 245 kbps.

In that case I dont think that you are being throttled / shaped to any degree and it's probably just the site thats either very busy or slow.
If other sites are still fast then this would endorse my reasoning on this.