cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

could not connect

N/A

could not connect

Simple question: am very new to broadband. Whilst I was online this morning, I was thrown offline after 10 minutes, and then I simply could not connect again this morning. I tried for around 20 minutes, continuously. The Plusnet broadband fault checker wasnt much good at the time because I couldn't get online. Now, this evening, I can get online, so the 110 useful suggestions and questions of the fault checker aren't much good, because I'm online now. QUestion: does the broadband conention limits mean that I might get thrown off sometimes, or not able to connect, because of a high number of users at the time? Or does the fact that I could not get online on the one day when I am not working, and wanting to browse the internet at home, mean that I probably have a problem somewhere? It was very irritating - I've had this broadband for a week, and never had a problem connecting with 56k "normal".

THanks for any help
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

could not connect

nope you shouldn't get shoved off the service if there are too many users on.

Can I ask was the sync (ADSL) light flashing?
N/A

could not connect

Thanks for your response. No, it wasn't flashing. It was a steady light. The message passed through the "connection to server", but stalled after the "verifying user name and password"; the final message was something like "could not connect", so I thought maybe there was heavy traffic because it was Boxing Day and everyone was surfing the internet. Yes, I definitely did put the username and password in correctly. I've made a note now of these bt test user connections, so if/when it happens again I'll try that ... but the plusnet fault checker doesnt help me if my problem is that i simply can't connect. If you have any ideas I would be grateful for ideas so that I am fore-armed for any repeats. Many thanks
N/A

could not connect

If you get problems its oftenn best to remove your equipment from the phone line for 10 mins as this will clear your connection. You dont say what modem or router you are using?

If you have a router there may be some reports in the logs if it has one