cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contention ratios

N/A

contention ratios

hi,
Ive recently signed up for self install home adsl(not activated yet), but only on the monthly contract as i am cocerned that sharing the 512k line with 50 other users (50/1 contention ratio)could actually prove to be not much improvement at all on my normal dial up account where i have 56k all to myself.

Since signing up ive seen other ISP's offering 40/1 ratios for less money than plusnet . anyway thats allways the way.

Any info on actual real world download speeds would be much appreciated.
(ps allready posted in general forum by mistake oops)
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: contention ratios

Hi Judy, Broadband MIGHT indeed be slower than 56k but to date I've found that where i used to get downloads of ~1k Byte/s (or less) I am now getting 30 to 40kBytes/sec and I've got one of the slowest connections of all the folks I know!!. The way I look at it is that I'm 30 times faster than on 56k. Anyway, beware Christmas when the kiddywinks have got their broadband kit in their stockings - then we will see how ADSL speeds hold up when everyone is gaming on-line!!.

All you can do is see how you get on - in the meantime, check your current speeds at the adslguide.org.uk.

Community Veteran

> Hi Judy, Broadband MIGHT indeed be slower than 56k but to date I've found that where i used to get downloads of ~1k Byte/s (or less) I am now getting 30 to 40kBytes/sec and I've got one of the slowest connections of all the folks I know!!. The way I look at it is that I'm 30 times faster than on 56k. Anyway, beware Christmas when the kiddywinks have got their broadband kit in their stockings - then we will see how ADSL speeds hold up when everyone is gaming on-line!!.
>
> All you can do is see how you get on - in the meantime, check your current speeds at the adslguide.org.uk.
>
>

Also see my reply in the general forum

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Hi,

I couldn't go back to 56k modem ahhhhh it's too slow!

BTW are you sure you had a dial up account where you have 56k all to yourself?.

You share the connections on 56K dialup with other users too.
I did have a 56K dialup account here on PlusNet before ADSL was so cheap, and i paid £99 a month for it, as it was 'always-on' and i got a port all to myself. But normal 56K you share the port, same as ADSL. unless you pay more.

Ahhh to think kids are going to get ADSL for xmas!!. but what for?
they only sit on Yahoo or AOL chat rooms..
such a waste of £23.99!!
--
Jason
=====
N/A

I get d/l speeds regularly at 40 to 60KB/s on Plusnet's ADSL Home package.

I used to have a connect light user account which had a contention of 20/1. Despite this contention I found the service to be reliable.

I'm on the understanding that the Broadband service is contended at the telephone exchange and that contention hasn't reached 50/1 yet but don't quote me on that.

Melodytune