cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contention ratio

N/A

contention ratio

hi, its prob been brought already but what are the advantages of 20:1 ratio instead of the 50:1?
would i notive ANY change at all or is it a case of just upgrading for the sake of it again?
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: contention ratio

> hi, its prob been brought already but what are the advantages of 20:1 ratio instead of the 50:1?
> would i notive ANY change at all or is it a case of just upgrading for the sake of it again?

Hi,

There's a pretty good explanation of contention at ADSLGuide:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/contention.asp

Basically if you have a 20:1 ratio, you will be potentially sharing the same bandwith with less people than you would be with the 50:1 service.
However, as there are very few exchanges which are contended to any high level at the moment this won't be noticable in the near future.
As exchanges do get more busy, the difference will gradually become more apparent between the two ratios.

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

thanks richard,
so what your saying is as im having good continuous speeds and connection with the 50:1 ratio changing to the 20:1 will not be a noticable difference.
although i do get bad LAG when playing my XBOX online would it correct this?
N/A

Hi,

Right Now, you may only notice a difference if you were on a contended exchange. With regard to lag on your connection, the only answer I can give is: If it's contention that is causing the problem then yes it will improve if you change to 20:1. If the lag is somewhere else then it won't make any difference. Are you aware of Traceroute? The results of that may show exactly where the lag is occuring.

Here is a copy of a posting I made last week, in answer to a similiar question about Contention:

I think it is widely accepted that 50:1 contention, if it was applied at exchange level as it's advertised, would cause slowdowns at peak times. I don't believe it could ever get that bad as their would be uproar, but it is safe to say that the network is running at better than designed specification and as more people get broadband things will slowdown somewhat on 50:1 contended products. At the moment BT are managing things very well on the whole and maybe they will decide to stick with that policy but they will need to recoup the reduced revenue they will receive from May 1st and squeezing more users onto the same kit is one way to do it.

The big worry with 50:1 contended Datastream products, which the original 1and 2MB products launched by Internet Central and others were based on, was that because of the costs involved the suppliers would have to squeeze the maximum amount of people onto every pipe and people would really feel it. The way it's gone I really don't think
that will be a problem on 20:1 IPStream.

The above reflects my thoughts based on the knowledge and the experience I have. While I'm payed to post in the group (:-O) the above doesn't reflect an 'official' statement from PlusNet!

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

I think this is on thread.

If I simply want to change my contention ratio, but keep the bandwidth the same a bit ahead of any possible slowdown would there be a cease and reconnect on this too?

Regards

Tim
Community Veteran

A move from 50:1 512k service to 20:1 512k service would still require a cease and reprovide due to techical reasons.

Chris.