cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constantly dropping ADSL connection -DG834Gv2-losing my mind

N/A

Hi All,

I have tried PlustNet and Netgear's support teams, no resolution - I am wondering if someone on the forums could help please.

Plustnet broadband for 2 years now on a wired Netgear DG834, no issue.

"upgraded" 10 days ago to DG834Gv2 wireless modem router- am on my 2nd in 10 days as I exchanged the 1st one as I thought it was faulty, 2nd one is doing exactly the same !

I keep losing my internet connection/ADSL Synch. Wireless connections and wired connections to the router are fine, but no internet!(i.e even when internet down, can still access the router)

Internet loss is completely random and I am running latest firmware

longest connection uptime since last 10 days has been 6 hours, only way to get internet back once lost is to reboot the router.

There must be something wrong with my settings becuase so many other plusnet users are singing the DG834G's praises.

I have not tweaked or changed any of the default settings apart from setting up my wireless security and disabling SSID advertising (and on Netgear's advice changed MTU from default 1458 to 1400,,but this has not helped so put it back to default)

I would really appreciate any help possible - Any existing DG834Gv2 users out there, with stable internet connection who I could compare settings with Huh

Thank you very much
22 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Please see the response I made to your original post here.

If you have a look at the tutorials section to which I have linked you will see a number of things you can try.

TBH, synch issues are more than likely down to your internal wiring, connection or external line.

Some of the checks will help with this.
Community Veteran

What are your line stats and what speed do you connect at?

Also monitor them at various times of day to see if they fluctuate (i.e. get worse) and if they do, what do they change to?

As stated abve, loss of sync is related to the exchange and not PlusNet as BT control that part of the connection.
N/A

Petervaughan and pcsni

Thank you both for the tips - I will go through the links and tutorial as recommended by pcsni

Peter - will try to monitor as you suggested and see if I can find how to check my line stats and post my findings.

The 2 points I cant seem to get my head around are:

1-Plug in the old wired DG834 and its perfect.
2-A freind (plusnet user) on a different exchange, DG834v2 plugged into her master socket, is having the same issue.

Will also ask BT to do a line check.

Thank you again

Andrew
N/A

Are you using the very latest firmware (version 3)? You need to go into the settings menu using your browser (where you are also able to check your line stats) and click on the upgrade firmware option. After upgrading do a reset. I had similar problems with the earlier firmware but it was sorted out after upgrading.
Vince
N/A

Vince, thx for the tips, yep am using the latest firmware (actually Netgear themselves said the older 2.x was more stable so I should consider downgrading,,odd eh!)

Will check my line stats, you say its something I can get from the router console ?,,will give it a go.

thx again

Andrew
N/A

I'm having the same problems but the most stable version of the firmware for me is Version 1.05.00. It loses sync around once a day though and needs to be powered cycled before it will work again.

The finger is pointing towards Netgear at the moment... Evil
Community Veteran

But what are your line stats, and do they fluctuate? These can be critical to getting a reliable connection. Too low a SNR (<7dB or even <10dB in some cases) or too high a line attenuation for your speed can mean unstable connections.

Note the latest firmware gets close to but is still not accurate regarding dB figures. From a recent woosh test I found my V3 firmware gave a downstream line attenuation of 58dB (was 60dB with earlier firmware versions) and the woosh test showed I had 55dB. Also the SNR was approx 3 or 4dB out (lower on netgear) .

I have actually found the V2 and V3 firmware versions to be far superior in terms of connection reliability than the V1.5 and earlier versons. With 1.5 and earlier, my uptimes were measured in hours before disconnects. With V2 & V3 it is measured in days/weeks and random lockups / rebooting has dissappared completely with V2/V3 when using P2P.
N/A

Hi, today our internet was supposed to be activated after 12pm... we too have a DG834G Netgear wireless router, and we have no internet. The connection wizard doesn't find anything. urgh HELP?
N/A

My line stats have been fine. I've borrowed an Alcatel Speedtouch modem and it connects perfectly every time and remains connected .

Still the finger points at the Netgear....

It's on my list of things to do to phone them up but I've been putting it off because of the bad experience I'm expecting based on other peoples reports.
N/A

Hi again

back with some stats

Port-WAN
Status-PPPoA
TxPkts-21014
RxPkts-11476
Collisions-0
Tx B/s-3185
Rx B/s-1547
Up Time 01:01:19

Connection speed
Down - 2272kbps
Up - 288kbps

Line Attenuation
Down - 28db
Up - 8.5db

Noise Margin
Down - 19db
Up - 24db

Firmware - 3.01.25

Idle timeout - "0"

Multiplexing - VC BASED

VPI - "0"
VCI - "38"

MTU - set to 1400 on netgear's advice.

Lost internet 4 times today - but strangely, none of the losses happened whilst I was actually working on the line.

thx all, really appreciate any help

Andrew
N/A

Guys,,have I said something to upset you :shock:

I am stumped without your help on this, have posted my stats but had no response

please let me know

Cheers

Andrew
Community Veteran

We dont have an answer for you.

Your line stats are very good so you should not be seeing disconnections due to that.

It's back to plusnet / BT I'm afraid as they are the only ones that can help.
N/A

What secruity have you applied. I had the same problem until I changed to WEP
N/A

I have the same router, and it's driven me bonkers with its continual dosconnection. After the best part of two months trying every permutation under the sun, I think it's now working ok.

Which type of disconnect are you seeing? Mine did lose the ADSL connection repeatedly, but has also been prone to dropping the wireless link from router to PC. This occcurs even though other PCs / la[ptops remain connected, so it may have been the WLAN card in the PC playing up.

Here's what I found.

Use the latest f/w it is ok, as far as I can tell.

When using WAP security, the connection from pc to router is not robust - 2 hours at most before a disconnect. This occurs even if I place the router 2 feet from the PC. My latest batch of problems started when I decided that as it was now stable, I should try it at WAP 128. Big mistake.
Change to WEP and although it's not as secure, it stays up. Mine has done for 2 days so far.
Try it intially without any security, but enable MAC filtering as start. Then increment security levels until it fails and revert to the previous level that worked.

I found no difference in stability with SSID broadcast on, or off.

Check that some other member of the household hasn't plugged a phone into an unused phone point with no filter in the way. This happened to me. The router just started dropping the ADSL connection for no apparent reason, after a long period of stability.

See if there is any difference in stability when using your WLAN card's oown software to configure it, and Windows' own built in wireless network config utility. Reports suggest it makes a difference, but there's no consistency about which is better. I use the Netgear s/w on one m/c, Windows on the other (Belkin). Remember the s/w configures the WLAN card not the router.

I'm convinced that the problem with this router is the security - I use a Belkin card in one PC, did have the same in the other but that was so bad I swapped it for a Netgear card that was initially OK but then started losing the link again. It may be that wireless networking si just inherently not robust enough to meet our expectations.

Try starting from scratch with security set to nothing. As long as MAC filtering is enabled (and you have the right addrresses obviously), and SSID broadcast is off, you should be OK, especially if there are other unsecured nnetworks in your vicinity.

I've had huge amounts of niggly issues with my set-up - this really is just a quick overview of what I've had.