cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

consistent 1Mb speeds on a 2Mb connection

N/A

Recently I noticed that my speeds are not what they used to be. I tested this with the BT speedtest and got the following results:

9-2-06 21:13 speed: 931kbs
10-2-06 07:14 speed: 924kbs
10-2-06 17:49 speed: 928kbs

These results are not what you'd expect on a 2Mb line. Also, because these speeds are practically the same, contention can be ruled out as the cause of these speeds. I raised this issue with Plusnet who replied that they are unwilling to raise this with BT because these speeds are caused by contention still falll within the guidelines from BT. I personally think that this has nothing to do with contention and it seems as if my speed is limited to 1mb for not obvious reason. I have been on higher speeds just after the free upgrade.

Anybody experiencing the same problem or could anybody explain to me what might be the reason for these low speeds?

Thanks,

Leo
7 REPLIES
N/A

Is your router/modem still syncing at 2232kbps?

What are your attnetion/snr values, also have these changed?

Are you pluged into master socket or an extention?

I agree it does not looks like contention but is in the range of what BT considers acceptable for 2Mbps, but if you answer those questions we may still be able to help you.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Leo,

Do the speeds ever go above 1000kbps? If they used to but haven't recently do you know when the last time you saw 2Mbps speeds?

We can raise as a line fault (rather than a contention/speed fault) it if the line is constantly performing as if it was 1Mbps. I've seen faults like this a couple of times in the past where they always perform as if they were a lower speed, but it doesn't happen often.
N/A

I seem to be having the same problem. Connecting at 1.1Mbps instead of 2.0Mbps or thereabouts. I know the line can handle over 2.2 because i was getting
those speeds with Pipex... Any help would be great.
N/A

Hi Leo,

Do the speeds ever go above 1000kbps? If they used to but haven't recently do you know when the last time you saw 2Mbps speeds?

We can raise as a line fault (rather than a contention/speed fault) it if the line is constantly performing as if it was 1Mbps. I've seen faults like this a couple of times in the past where they always perform as if they were a lower speed, but it doesn't happen often.

Hi Dave,

My speeds never go above 1000kbps. Last time I did a speedtest that resulted in speeds well over 1000kbps was back in July 2005. My modem, however, is synching at 2232kbps which means the line is capable of those speeds?

By the way, I have raised a ticket but your colleagues keep telling me that they cannot do anything about this because the speeds are within BTs guidelines which is, as you can imagine, quite frustrating.

Thanks,

Leo
N/A

Same here too... I find it strange that i know i can get above 2Mbps line speeds but
dont seem to get getting it becasue its within the limits of what BT says to 'normal'.
N/A

We've had similar problems. Back when we had a 1Mb line we actually got really good download speeds (about 1.1 or 1.2Mb). Then we were 'upgraded' to 2Mb and our speeds dropped to just under a meg. We tried raising tickets about it but Plusnet couldn't find a problem with the line.

Our line was downgraded to 1Mb again for a while and the speed increased. It seems odd but I would guess that its a line quality issue. Although it can sync at 2Mb the number of errors causing frame retransmissions causes the actual throughput to drop.

We're back up to 2Mb again now and we're actually getting 2Mb downloads. This could be because a BT engineer spazzed out our line at the exchange a couple of months ago and they had to repair / replace it.
Cos2005
Dabbler

I have the problem that Im only connecting at 1mb instead of 2mb according to the fault checker on plusnet it says-

Exchange contention status: Red

The local telephone exchange, from where your broadband service is provided is currently experiencing very high levels of contention, with many broadband users. As a result of this, you may experience slower connection speeds during busy periods.

Please note that BT regularly upgrade the capacity of their telephone exchanges. We will monitor the BTs engineering schedules, please check back on a weekly basis for further updates.

Hope this is sorted soon!