cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection

N/A

connection

Latest edition of Computer Which? shows PlusNet plummeting down the ratings, now in 18th place with only 30% very satisfied customers and a "very poor" rating for connection reliability.
I joined PlusNet 12 months ago because the same magazine had them near the top with a 92% satisfied rating and good value, something else marked down this time although I do think it is good value in general terms.
My concern is the time it takes to connect. I waste hours which at my time of life is not good! Kept records since June 2006 and until end of Feb 07 I have failed to connect within 15 mins - my limit - 36 times out of 162 attempts. I consider this unacceptable as most attempts are made in off peak. What do others think and why should I stay with PlusNet?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

connection

If your concern is the time taken to connect then I would strongly advise raising this through our faults checker, go down the route of an intermittent connection and put any further information in the relevant box at the end of it.
Unless you report a fault to us then we do not know there is a problem.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

connection

Yes, this was reported many moons ago. BT came and checked the line - nothing wrong. I do live about 3 miles from exchange so my speed is a steady 2.2Mbps which is fine. Tried all the tricks you suggested.
It is a variable condition. E.g., October 10/25 failures, Nov/Dec 1/27 between them, Jan 4/20, Feb 1/15, this month to date 2/11. On every occasion the failure to connect is shown as a failure of "remote computer to respond". i.e. yours!
I suspect unless you can come up with a new suggestion I'll have to live with it.
Isitme
Grafter

connection

Are you using a USB modem? If you are, changing to a router/modem will almost certainly give you a more consistent connection.
N/A

connection

Yes. I am using the USB modem you supplied!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

connection

As Tom suggests routers are normally more reliable in this area, they do not rely on 'dialling' the connection each time. They are normally always-on devices which means once the router is turned on it will only disconnect if you tell it to and is not reliant on your PC being turned on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

connection

I wonder why +N supply the USB modem, and then say a router is the best solution

Growler39:roll:
N/A

connection

PN would supply a router if you had requested one!

Its only like somebody selling you a motorbike, and then you finding out that buying a car would mean you don't get rained on....

Hindsight is wonderful I accept, and I also admit I ended up with a USB modem through not knowing any better.

Its worth having a modem lying around the place as a space anyhow, so you can test different hardware to isolate any connection/line problems and prove to yourself that its not a hardware issue at your end.

A cynic may suggest that it was in PN's interests to have as many customers as possible using USB devices rather than routers, since it meant that they wouldn't have to buy additional capacity just to provide sufficient sessions.
The upturn in folks using routers has however forced PN's hand, and made them buy additional capacity to support the extra sessions. Wink
N/A

connection

I can only say that when I joined 12 months ago as a complete computer novice the only thing on offer was a USB modem - routers were not mentioned! Perhaps PlusNet would like to give me a router?
It would be an appropriate apology for all the hours I've wasted trying to connect with the equipment it supplied. I am 61 with a mild heart condition so I could certainly do without the stress.
N/A

connection

Perhaps PlusNet would like to give me a router?

I'm sure they'll sell you one - doubt they'll start giving hardware away though.

Remember its only recently that they've agreed to waive deferred hardware fee's after 1 year, previously the cost of the hardware was only waived at 20% per year for 5 years.
Isitme
Grafter

connection

When I joined Plusnet some years ago, I was was given the option of a Modem or single port router. I chose the router, it cost me £80 at the time, but I have never regretted it. Costs have dropped considerably since then and you can now get a single port router for about £20 Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

connection

I'll just say that modem or router it shouldn't make any difference. PN's BB network simply does not respond to incoming connection requests - frequently.

I've had problems with both modem AND router on PN. It makes no difference - especially when PN drop the connection - at that point the router's 'always on' connection is then rendered useless.

Too much emphasis is put on routers. At the end of the day PN can't handle their customers properly. Thats the problem.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!