cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection problem

N/A

connection problem

Had my ADSL activated on wednesday after moving into a new property, was previously on NTL broadband at my old place.

I went for the startet pack with Binatone 500 included.

Everything works fine with the connection itself, apart from when i restart or shutdown my machine.

Upon rebooting the machine however the connection is dead. The power light on the modem is on but the ADSL light is off and there is no network connection. The config page of the modem http://192.168.1.2 does not also not appear, although the settings were previously set to auto-connect.

The only way to get the connection active is to first unplug the USB cable from the rear of the modem, and then unplug the telelphone cable from the microfilter. As soon as the telephone cable is plugged back in to the microfilter the connection appears. The ADSL light comes on and the network conection window pops up.

Any ideas ?Huh
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

connection problem

Could be a faulty device.

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers?

Have you tried a diffreent USB connector?

Have you tried a different filter/splitter?

Have you tried plugging the ADSL modem directly into the BT socket (if you have an old 56k modem, use the modem cable it uses).

What is your motherboard chipset? Have you installed the latest chipset drivers for you mobo?

If that does not solve the problem try raising a contact us ticket with PlusNet and see what they say.
N/A

connection problem

some nice suggestions thanks

after a bit of investigation ive discovered that the modem in device manager upon boot-up displays a yellow exclamation stating 'driver error conflict' or something to that nature

if i then disable the device temporarily, click ok, then go back in and enable the device and it comes online, network connected, no driver conflict etc ...

ill have another look later when i have more time at different drivers, ive tried swapping the micro filter, that didnt work. ill also try a different usb port
Community Veteran

connection problem

Does sound like a driver initialisation problem on system startup (maybe a conflict with another driver also initialising before, at the same time or after the USB driver). Removing the USB cable unloads the driver, then reconnecting loads the driver again which is able to initialise properly.

I would read the install instructions again and follow them to the letter after uninstalling the current drivers. Sometime you install the driver with the modem unplugged then plug it in, other drivers require the cable to be plugged in first which then asks for the driver disk if the device is unknown. Follow the instructions and see if that solves the problem.
N/A

connection problem

still no luck Sad

i've re-installed the modem drivers, followed the installation instructions to a 'T' but still no joy

the motherboard is a nForce2 jobbie
ive downloaded the latest Nvidia nForce chipset drivers as well ... still no go

i cant find any other modem drivers on the net other than those provided on the CD
N/A

connection problem

I have exactly the same problem and nforce2 chip set. When It happens to me I keep switching between off and on line until the binatone connection web page appears, although this is not acceptable.