cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection keeps dropping on Voyager 205 ADSL Router

Gorvul
Grafter

hi, I want to know if this is happening to anyone else, if someone can explain what is most likely the reason, and what I might be able to do about it.

My connection keeps dropping - I lose connection for about a minute or so, then it's ok again. Recently I notice this is happening more and more frequently. Sometimes it is every few minutes (at the worse times) and other times it is not so bad as that (or I just don't notice).
I sometimes use bittorrent - it'll be going great, build up a nice download speed, then I lose connection for a minute or so and have to start again from 0, or whatever the number fell to before the connection picked up again. This is very annoying, as the torrent takes a while to build up to what it had been, though often doesn't get the chance because the connection keeps dropping.

Recently (around 4th July), I noticed my bandwidth had been increased. I wasn't informed that this was going to happen (like a previous email had promised), though I'm pleased to have more bandwidth (if I can use it.....). This is possibly a factor, though I had similar problems before this, but less frequently.

Also, I need to say, this problem happens when I am only surfing too (i.e. without using any other programs like bittorrent). I mentioned BitTorrent to try to describe what is happening.

I tried to use the help assistant, and answered all the questions, but I stopped when they asked me to disable all firewalls (hardware and software firewalls) so they could do more connectivity checks. It didn't say how long I have to leave my connection open for without firewalls and I don't want to create more problems for myself by having no firewalls for any length of time.

I can't find a way of reporting this to PlusNet without going through all the rings and hoops of the help-assistant (not very convenient), or without ringing them, so I thought I'd post here first to see what feedback I get.

I don't know if I am in the LLU (3 letters that means relatively little to me). I didn't opt in or out.

My Voyager 205 router gives following info:

Downstream speed 7616
Upstream speed 640

and I fail the test "Connected to ADSL local exchange"

but I don't know for sure what I've been upgraded to, (BT or Tiscali?) as I thought the upgrades were halted according to recent plusNet announcements.

I know it's not bad compared to some people's connection problems, but all the same, it is still an annoyance. I am able to connect, but frequently temporarily lose connection.

Premier Option One: Always on broadband xDSL

I am grateful for any help/information Smiley
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Yes you have been transferred to Tiscali LLU (local loop unbundling) as otherwise you would only hAve an upstream rate of 448.
If you go to this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm and select your router it will tell you how to get the snr or margin which will give a little more information.
Gorvul
Grafter

thank you for that link Jim, I have done that now, here's some info;

Local Tx. power (dB): 12.13
Local Line atten (dB) 30.0
Local SNR margin (dB): 14.0

Remote Tx.Power: 19.73
Remote Line Atten: 15.0
Remote SNR Margin: 13.0

Up SValue 8
Up DValue 2

Down SValue 1
Down DValue 32

Framing Structure: Framing-3
Standard G.dmt

is there any other information there that I should put in?

Oh, by the way, I use the ethernet cable to connect, not the USB (both are options on the Voyager 205 ADSL router).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As I am not an expert on this (I am currently fighting MaxDSL on a long line) but I can't see anything obviously wrong.
Perhaps you could get this information when you are having major problems as it may show something up.
One thing to consider is that your router may be overheating.
If you do a google search on "voyager 205 overheating" it throws up a number of reports of similar problems.
Gorvul
Grafter

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
boone70
Grafter

I have been having problems for weeks now with fluctuating speeds and losing connection, sometimes after a minute or two or after an hour. I have been through all the hoops to no avail BUT things seem to be improving this last day or so. Perhaps you just need to be patient and wait for things to get better.
E L
Gorvul
Grafter

ok, right, thanks again Jim,

after reading some forums around the net, I strongly think it is the actual router that is causing the problem of random disconnections.
If I'd had more savvy, time and patience, I would have bought a recommended router of my own and not taken the Voyager 205 that Plusnet sent me when I signed up, so I suggest any other new customer consider this if you stumble into this thread. It was convenient at the time to accept the modem, but looks like it has overheating issues for a start, and others are saying it is generally a poor product.

It is good to have a better idea of what is causing the disconnections now though. I will consider buying a new router. People are recommending Netgear, but I will do a bit of hunting of more reviews and opinions before I buy one. There is probably a thread here about the best router/modem. I'll have a look.

Cheers for pointing me in what is most likely the right direction! Smiley

Much appreciated! Smiley
Gorvul
Grafter

Thanks E L (linden32).

I will take your advice too. Hopefully things will improve. I think the most frustrating thing was not knowing what was causing the problem. I found out by my own accord that my bandwidth had changed after doing a speed-test, even though I thought I would be emailed before I was regraded. Not being informed is not a problem as long as I don't have to do anything in particular, in the trial period of being regraded.

The 'not so great' router being another possibility, I'll read some more posts/threads/reviews etc about that

But, like you suggest, I will give it more time and be patient with it.
hitachi
Grafter

Go for a router which does adsl2+, the llu exchanges should upgrade to this for faster speeds at a later date,and it will run fine until this happens.
Gorvul
Grafter

thanks for that advice fletchdsl, I will remember that.

in the meantime I decided to update the firmware at:

http://www.voyager.bt.com/205/btbroadband/firmware_update.htm

this might make a difference or not... I don't know... yet..

other voyager 205 users might find this link useful too:

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/bt.voyager.205_router.how-to.php

(Now I'll try to change the name of thread to include router name. This is quite new to me, first time I started a thread here).