cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection dropping

N/A

connection dropping

hello, over the last few weeks i have noticed that my conenction seems to drop occassionaly (it did it today at aroudn 1:23pm) i intially thought it might be my splitters, so i replaced them all yesterday, but it seems to have dropped today aswell :/ just wondering if anyone can provide me with any other reasons as to why it might drop ? i am using a sar 110 ethernet dsl router which has been working fine for over a year , and like i said, this problem has only been happening ocassionaly every few days over the last few weeks.

any thoughts would be appreciated
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

connection dropping

There are a number of threads where others have reported disconnect problems, please read them so we don't have to repeat the same answers.

Also include details of your PC spec, motherboard chipset (if known), windows version and ADSL equipment/connection method in those threads so we have something to go on.

Have you read the wiring tutorial and troubleshooting tutoruial and the ADSL troubleshooting info on the customer support page.
N/A

connection dropping

Occasional drops are to be expected. High winds, damp comditions and even engineers at the exchange cannot be ruled out.
The best thing is to take a note of the loop attenuation and SNR (noise) figures given by the router and see if they change significantly. These figures are buried somewhere in the config of your router, others on here may be able to help as to how you get these.
Attenuation figures that go UP and SNR figures that go down are a sign of a deteriorating line.
N/A

connection dropping

hi thanx for the reply however i am using a seperate combined router/adsl modem conencted to a lan switch so pc specs wont affect it. i will go and have a look at the wiring tutorials now Smiley however its been working fine for over a year and nothing has changed recently in the house :/
N/A

connection dropping

ok i will go and see if i can find the figures out Smiley i dont liek the sound of a deteriating line... :/
N/A

connection dropping

k found them :

Local Line Atten.: 39.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 20.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 24.5 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 29.0 dB

is that good or bad ?
N/A

connection dropping

Very good filters that solve 'some' disconnection problems,
are sold by ADSLnation and also Speedtouch.
Also software changes might affect a routers performance therefore
requiring a firmware update.
However when updating firmware you need to strictly follow
the manufacturers recommendations as there are some risks
involved.
Of course a major factor is your line condition which is prone
to change the most, so follow the previous instructions, you
need to telnet your router to get to the data required.
Alec.

PS you beat me to it, that looks oK, not great but not bad Smiley
Community Veteran

connection dropping

Line figures look fine in all respects and dont show up any obvious problems.
However the don't rule out a bad connection where your line may suffer a momentary break due to say wind on overhaed wires etc.
I think all you can do is monitor the situation for now and see if it gets better or worse.