cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection drop off

N/A

connection drop off

I am experiencing real problems with my connection of late. As an example:

I started my connection at 8:40 a.m. Left it on and went to my Daughter’s place. Returned about 6 p.m., Connection still on, no problems. Come 7:00 p.m. it is up and down like a yoyo. Idle or playing games, downloading files it makes no difference. It is like somebody has switched me off.

This happens most nights now. In fact I just lost connection whilst typing this up. I have re-installed my modem and gone through my settings with Plus net.

Plus net Support seem to think it is the street lighting although they are unable to explain why it has not done it in the last 2 odd years I have been with them!!!

ANYBODY, anybody got any ideas PLEASE. It is driving me nuts

thanks
25 REPLIES
N/A

connection drop off

I'm trying to find out what the problem is too!

Look at the graph, it shows something happened.

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml
N/A

connection drop off

I carried out the Tracert as recommended by an earlier post and had the following as my first hop

Lo1.plusnet.ptn-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.32]

this appears to be a dreaded Redback pipe. So is this our problem? If so why was I not told this by Support instead of hearing garbage about street lighting! Evil
N/A

connection drop off

Your Tracert shows you are on a Juniper not a Redback which is usually the better of the two.

Tonight though the Juniper I was on went belly-up.

No confirmation of this just my opinion.
N/A

connection drop off

This is all really bad news. Perhaps time to look else where. I am reluctant though, Plus net has been good. Sad
N/A

connection drop off

I did the tracert again and I think I am on a redback

If your first hop (or second hop if you use a router) has pth-ag1 or pth-ag2 anywhere in it, e.g:

lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.11]

lo1.plusnet.pth-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.6]

then you are connected to a Redback, and are going through a possibly congested 155Mbps central pipe.

Mine is lo1.homesurf.pth-ag1.plus.net [Number ]
Community Veteran

connection drop off

Cut off's will note be caused by the type of pipe you are on at the time. All this will effect is your speed on webpages or upload and download speeds.

There could well be some truth in the street lighting idea but it could be anything electrical that gets turned on in a regular basis.
There was a thread some while back where cut offs were pinned down to a neighbours garden lights :roll:

Unfortunately this type of fault is not easy to prove.

Has there been any changes to your connection recently i.e. upgrading account etc?
Community Veteran

connection drop off

Just done a search and found the thread where the outdoor garden lights were eventually found to be the cause of the cut offs.
N/A

street lighting ???!!!

.... now I've heard everything!

I'm seeing exactly the same problem. Connection can stay up all night, but then is up and down like .... well, it's up and down a lot during the day and evening.
N/A

connection drop off

Thanks for the link. Yes, I found that interesting although slightly above my head to be honest.

I will check with my neighbours, like our friend we are all on first name terms, regarding new appliances etc…. . I have lived here since 1978 and just about nothing has changed no building works, street lighting is the same, nobody has even put in an garden pond ! As far as I am aware at the moment, I am in the middle of an electrical sea of tranquillity.

The only change to my computer system has been the SP 2 upgrade and I have put in a new hard drive.
Community Veteran

connection drop off

The only change to my computer system has been the SP 2 upgrade and I have put in a new hard drive.

That should not have any effect on the stability of your connection.
It may be worth actually keeping a log of the time etc when your connection drops, (tedious I know) then some sort of pattern may emerge to help with finding out why.
N/A

connection drop off

Looking at the forum it is quite clear there is a major problem with reliability for Plus Net.

I not really convinced that after running my setup for 18 months/2 years with a few small problems that suddenly the timer switch on my boiler (example only) is affecting my connection.

As an ex Company Director I am begining to smell profit over service somewhere :!: :!: I hope I am proved wrong
Community Veteran

connection drop off

Looking at the forum it is quite clear there is a major problem with reliability for Plus Net.

How did you come to that conclusion. PlusNet have over 70,000 customers approx 40-45,000 are ADSL (I think). How many individuals can you count on these forums, on ADSLguide and on the usenet that are having connection problems?

I not really convinced that after running my setup for 18 months/2 years with a few small problems that suddenly the timer switch on my boiler (example only) is affecting my connection.

ADSL uses electrical signals as do routers, modems and your PCs. These can all be effected by other electrical devices, more so if those devices are faulty (as the garden lights were suspected to be). It is well known that christmas lights, flourecent street lights, local high-fi systems can cause interference. As can mobile phones (especially on the old 56k dialup connections) and some of the older DECT phones. Even ordinary phones can cause a problem if they are not properly filtered (and ADSL filters can also cause problems due to faults).

That being said, the majority of users will have no porblems with any of these, but some do, so none of them should be discounted just because 'you don't think they could effect your connection'. Where disconnections have a set pattern, this would normally indicate a local interference problem which needs to be investgated

Sync & disconnect problems are on the whole caused by BT line/exchange problems and local conditions / set-ups in the home/office and don't actually involve plusnet at all.
N/A

connection drop off

As a senator in the USA once remarked after hearing a long diatribe from a Company Director of BAT as to why Smoking does not cause cancer "I hear what you say".

Only Plus net has the figures on drop offs. We are all individuals trying very hard to get something back for the money we spend. I would suspect that we are only seeing the tip of an ice berg.

I will continue to try to solve what appears to be "my" problem. And, if you are proved correct, I assure you, I shall be the first to apologise on this forum.

For now it seems I am going to spend the next months switching on and off lights. Still unable to reliably use my Computer for what I built it for, gaming, and which I joined Plus net for.
Community Veteran

connection drop off

It could still be a BT problem, it's just very unlikely to be PlusNets fault.