cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection and phone problems

N/A

connection and phone problems

I installed my PCI ADSL modem last night and got connected up without any major problems. However today has been different - I've got a couple of questions :

1) I was lead to believe that ADSL was 'always on' yet I have to manually connect every time I want to use the internet (connection and password verification can take up to a minute which is way slower than my old 56K ISP !)
Is this normal, or can I change it to connect as soon as my PC boots up ?

2) I've been online today (Saturday) and keep getting disconnected (sometimes as much as every few minutes !). Sometimes it will reconnect automatically straight away, other times I won't be able to reconnect at all and I'll get the following dialogue box...
"Dial up networking was unable to complete the connection. Error 629 - you have been disconnected from the computer you dialed. Double click the connection to try again"
(I've un-checked the 'disconnect if idle for..' box, but this hasn't helped)

More importantly, this also happens now every time I try and use the phone at the same time. (Within a few seconds of picking up the phone, I lose the connection)

If I try and log back in (whilst on the phone), I get the following..

"Dial up networking was unable to complete the connection. Error 650 : The computer you're dialing in to does not respond to a network request. Check your server type setting in the properties of the connection. If this problem persists, check with your network administrator"

Does anyone know why this should be happening ?

I'm obviously still very new to all this - so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: connection and phone problems

Don't quote me on it, but it sounds as though there's a problem with your line/exchange as you shouldn't get disconnected when you use the phone.

Have you contacted Plusnet either by phone or the "Contact Us" feature stating exactly what error messages you're getting? This would be the first step for you after checking the obvious (connection between your PC's modem and the phone socket). They may send you instructions on what to check but they will submit your problem to BT.

Regards

Melodytune
Best of luck
N/A

Hi
Check out thread lower down list re
faulty filters
That is possibly all or one of your problems.
Surey plusnet STILL cannot be sending out dodgy
YCL filters
cheers Les
still waiting for replacement filters
or even an update ?
N/A

Yep - just got off the phone from customer support who told me that faulty filters were a likely explanation and that they'd get replacements in the post as soon as the new batch arrive (early next week ?)

Whilst this will explain my connection dropping when I pick up the phone, would it also explain it dropping at other times ?

N/A

> Yep - just got off the phone from customer support who told me that faulty filters were a likely explanation and that they'd get replacements in the post as soon as the new batch arrive (early next week ?)
>
> Whilst this will explain my connection dropping when I pick up the phone, would it also explain it dropping at other times ?
>
>

Yes, very likely.
N/A

Yes dodgy filters are still being sent out. I am still without a proper connection as i have had to remove the filters all together so I cannot use the phone while online. Since this saturday, I have had my line intermittently drop out too.
N/A

I only got my asdl package last week" sent out on 28/11/02", installed it and can't get anything through my phone when i have my filter plugged in, glad to know it's not just me. seems to be working alright apart from the phone problem.

> I installed my PCI ADSL modem last night and got connected up without any major problems. However today has been different - I've got a couple of questions :
>
> 1) I was lead to believe that ADSL was 'always on' yet I have to manually connect every time I want to use the internet (connection and password verification can take up to a minute which is way slower than my old 56K ISP !)
> Is this normal, or can I change it to connect as soon as my PC boots up ?
>
> 2) I've been online today (Saturday) and keep getting disconnected (sometimes as much as every few minutes !). Sometimes it will reconnect automatically straight away, other times I won't be able to reconnect at all and I'll get the following dialogue box...
> "Dial up networking was unable to complete the connection. Error 629 - you have been disconnected from the computer you dialed. Double click the connection to try again"
> (I've un-checked the 'disconnect if idle for..' box, but this hasn't helped)
>
> More importantly, this also happens now every time I try and use the phone at the same time. (Within a few seconds of picking up the phone, I lose the connection)
>
> If I try and log back in (whilst on the phone), I get the following..
>
> "Dial up networking was unable to complete the connection. Error 650 : The computer you're dialing in to does not respond to a network request. Check your server type setting in the properties of the connection. If this problem persists, check with your network administrator"
>
> Does anyone know why this should be happening ?
>
> I'm obviously still very new to all this - so any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks.

N/A

RE: connection and phone problems = faulty filters

For info : I've found out from PlusNet today that some faulty filters may have also been mistakenly sent out after those dates mentioned elsewhere on these noticeboards (was it 2nd - 20th Nov ?)

I received my starter pack on the 29th Nov and have had connection/phone problems as mentioned above, so it looks extremely likely that the filters are at fault.

Apparently they are doing something about it, so we should receive a notification e-mail and then get our replacements soon after that !

I guess we'll have to just sit tight for now.

Cheers,
Mike.