cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connected - but dead with Binatone

N/A

Have had Plusnet broadband for a few weeks, really very dissapointed with it - its just been so unreliable.

The problem we seem to have at the moment(there have been others) is that everything is connected, the connection was working for a day and a half but now its just hung. Still connected, but the two arrows are dark green not bright green - and its impossible to browse/ping etc etc.

Generally rebooting fixes this, but I dont want to do this every other day.

Im using a Pentium 3 500, Win2k(genuine) ALL latest service packs and security updates. Fast hard disk and 512mb ram. Splitters used as required and modem plugged into the correct socket(Ive double checked)

The modem is the binatone USB modem Sad this is also a shame a I cant use smoothwall.
5 REPLIES
N/A

This could be part of the generic USB problem, which is experienced by allmost every USB device that requires a high power output.

Though you are on a Pentium 3, issues of ont he VIA chipset are not so bad, however, many and most USB deviced like this see lockups, failed connections, stalled connection and simalar symptoms.

Most of these issues can be corrected by pruchasing and using a power USB hub (it must be powered).
N/A

So you're saying the modem plusnet supplied isnt up to the job? If this is the case I think it more appropriate that plusnet supply me with a different modem - I dont think its my duty to spend more money to fix a hardware problem that shouldnt be an issue in the first place.

CK
N/A

This is an issue accross the board and doesn't just apply to the hardware that PlusNet supply.

The USB BUS has been plagued by this problem since the start. High drain devices like scanners and modems that do not supply there own power supply, use allmost all and likely more than the allow 500ma that the USB supplies.

This can be a burden on the chipset, CPU and even the power supply of the system. It is well documented around the internet of this fact.

Allthough PlusNet are helpful and may come to some arrangment with you, it is not up to them to supply devices that work with every system. Infact, part of the agreement with PlusNet requires that you agree that your system meets the specification of the device.

Allthough not stricktly written within the agreement, USB is designed with the Power issue in it, and you agree that you are aware of it.

This is mucht he same that you can't be expecting Microsoft to pay for your hardware upgrade, to be compatible with that of the software specification. Allthough software and hardware are seperate, the priciple is the same.
N/A

Ok thanks for your help Smiley , I have a pci card at home with 2 usb ports in it - Ill try this and if it doesnt work Ill just have to bite the bullet and buy a hub.

AP (chief technical advisor to CK)
N/A

Im assuming you mean a USB hub with its own power supply boost. Personally, i wouldnt bother as this can even still have problems.

Buy a network card and an adsl modem router and youll have far less problems. Might work out a little bit more expensive but you wont regret it !