cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer is off but still usage is shown

N/A

Hi there i checked my usage this morning and i have noticed thhat 929 kb of data was used from midnight to 8am but my computer was off.I have noticed that when I log off the net the internet light on my router is still green and this could be why there was usage on my account.but surly the computer would have to be on for the wireless to communicate with the router.
7 REPLIES
Aterlatus
Grafter

There's countless possibilities about what could cause that useage to appear on your account - anything from a passerby making use of your wireless facilities to someone on the internet pinging your router for whatever reason.

If you really want to stop any useage at all from appearing, you need to turn off your router to break the connection to the ISP.
N/A

Thanks for the quick responce.I actually did turn my router off last night,and i have it set to invisibility mode.I have just changed to setup of my router to manually connect as the previous setting was alway on.I was just concened that if 928kb had been used through the night then what will it be through the day(my usage will go through the roof)My connection was only set up yesterday so could it have been line checks that added the usage.
N/A

what a mistake that was setting the router to manually connect every time i opened a new tab i had to go through my router registration screen lol i wont be doing that again.
N/A

The usage you've cited is so low it's really not worth worrying about, this is probably normal background traffic on the internet and can be disregarded. That said, activating the PlusNet broadband firewall will make you safer online and block much of this traffic before it gets to your router (which should be dropping it anyway).

Hiding your network name is next to useless as a method of securing it. The radio waves are still there for anyone to pick up, you can't break the rules of physics, and those radio waves can be read by anyone who's interested.

The only method you can prevent your traffic from being read and secure your network (plus bandwidth) from use by other people is to use encryption. I'd strongly suggest WPA-PSK as a minimum standard- see here for further details.

This article is worth a look, and there's loads more available online.

Lastly this page is good for generating strong WPA passwords (save them as a text file on a USB key and copy and paste them every time you want to add a computer to the network).
N/A

@lestones

Thanks for the advice i'll check out those pages you added,my router currently has a wep key would you advise changing this.

I know the usage was very little but as both my router and computer were off I was just concerned that this usage could take place.I have a couple of firewalls already running on my computer including an internet eraser that also acts as firewall software so would it be of any use in running the plusnet firewall also.
N/A

I'll try to answer these in order-

my router currently has a wep key would you advise changing this.

WEP is a lot better than no encryption, but it has been cracked- given a couple of minutes anyone who'd downloaded software freely available on the internet could have cracked the key and be monitoring everything you do on the network. WPA is much more secure and should be used where equipment supports this (using the keys generated by the page I referenced should be unbreakable).

both my router and computer were off

Was the router actually powered down during this period? As you mentioned the green light was on it seems not. As long as the router is active, your connection to the internet is live, even if no computers are on to take advantage of that. If you have a live connection to the internet, that connection can be probed. The firewall on the router will drop this unsolicited traffic, so it's nothing to worry about, but it will still count against your usage. Either switch off your router at the mains when you're not using it, or switch on the PlusNet broadband firewall which will drop the traffic before it gets to your router.

I have a couple of firewalls already running on my computer including an internet eraser that also acts as firewall software so would it be of any use in running the plusnet firewall also.

There should only ever be one firewall running on each computer, multiple firewalls can conflict with each other and cause problems. If you're using a router the chances are that this is acting as a firewall as well.

In terms of running the PlusNet firewall, I'd never encourage users to rely solely on the PlusNet firewall without a router or software firewall to back it up. The advantage of using the PlusNet firewall is that it's an additional security measure for a potential hacker to compromise and- more importantly- that it drops traffic before it reaches your router and is counted against your usage.
N/A

Thanks very much lestones most appreciated.