cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

complex problem!

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,877
Thanks: 1
Registered: 05-04-2007

complex problem!

Right. I'm on holiday at a relatives atm they have sync problems with their ADSL.

Have tried the trouble shooting steps in the tutorial and have found the following.

Loss of sync will happen regardless of modem / router used.
Pluggin into the master socket makes little difference.
However pluging into the master socket without any phones etc plugged into the other extensions and using a different filter will get a connection.

Unplugging everything from all other sockets but where the modem is will lower the attenuation by about 2db.

When using different filter on modem:

Attenuation lower by a further 2db.

Using phone plugged into same filter as modem when you replace the hand set you lose sync.

Using cordless phone from another filter there is no loss of sync.

Connection seems far more relaible generally but as I say can still lose sync.

Further to this with the new filter on the modem and everything plugged in they now have an attenuation of 42db and SNR 26 - inside the limits for 2mb.

However the BT database says they are only capable of 1mb with the possible need for an engineers vist.

Currently they are on 1mb.

Is there anyway they can get upgraded to 2mb?

Finally to complicate matters further they are not with PN but on tiscali.

*preys* no more calls to tiscali helpline please! :p

Edit: fixed the subject so I can read it (DT)
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,729
Registered: 04-04-2007

complex problem!

How to screw the forums up.

Use a censored word as the first word in your subject title.

Then when you try visiting the thread all you get is a lecture on bad language on the forums.

Chilly
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Posts: 12,169
Thanks: 18
Fixes: 1
Registered: 04-04-2007

complex problem!

Hi Daniel,

42dB is right on the button for 2Mbps as it needs to be less than 43dB. If you are seeing sync problems then unless the filter you had was causing a 20dB loss in SNR I'd say not to bother with 2Mbps because it may well be unstable. Waiting for DSL Max is probably the best option because you aren't risking the possibility of a failed regrade.
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,877
Thanks: 1
Registered: 05-04-2007

complex problem!

Right; thanks Dave.

I've got a feeling part of the sync issue might be the actual USB modem supplied by tiscali as there have been a couple of times it has lost sync where I have been able to get my netgear to sync fine. Unfortunatley I can't test the connection with the netgear as something has happened to it this evening and It now refuses to power on so it looks like I'll be going into dimwits on wednesday to get it sorted.

Chilly; sorry about that; I was just a little annoyed when typing my OP as I've spent the best part of the evening trying to get this sorted.

Ah well at least I've got the line stats improved with the netgear filter!
avalon
Grafter
Posts: 361
Registered: 05-04-2007

complex problem!

Daniel

The filters could be partly to blame. I bought a filter from a supermarket to use with my new broadband as the connection was expected before my router was delivered and I wanted to use the phone. Well, when my router arrived I left the filter I'd bought in placce and connected the router through this rather than using the one in the box with the router. Laziness on my part.

My noise margin was 10-12db on 1 Meg. When the free regrades were being offered I thought I'd put some effort in to get it up a bit. The first thing I tried was plugging directly into the master. This pushed my noise margin up to 32db. I eventually traced the problem to the supermarket filter and once I'd binned it and used the other one my noise margin immediately jumped to 30db and stayed there.

But duff wiring to the exchange might also play a part.

If you had good steady line stats but the BT database was wrong then you could get it amended.
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,877
Thanks: 1
Registered: 05-04-2007

complex problem!

Does anyone know if speedtouch filters are any good? That's what they all are here apart from the one I've already replaced.

TBH; I reckon there's no single issue causing the problems here. I've had times when the USB loses sync an won't resync but the netgear will get sync instantly; with all the phones un plugged the figures are improved and replacing the filter behind teh PC has improved the stats.

It's an (fairly) old house and I reckon that it could do with re-wiring phone wise; there's about 4 sockets (including master) that are used and another that isn't currently use but will be soon and I reckon most of the sockets are just extension from somewhere but I've no idea where!
N/A

complex problem!

Just a cursory thought but has the phone line been on a DACS or even the old shared party line connection. That could be the problem you describe, I have heard of this sort of thing in the past. As I say just a thought.
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,877
Thanks: 1
Registered: 05-04-2007

complex problem!

I don't think so; they used to have 2 lines but not DACS AFAIK