cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

certain internet apps don't work

N/A

hmm...

since upgrading my msn messenger to the latest version about a month ago, it's stopped working. some "error with your internet connection" (its not very specific)

being a bit p'd off at that i tried uninstalling, reinstalling, using windows messenger...a whole bunch of things - same error

now, being the silly person i am, when prompted to upgrade my AIM to the newest version, i did. i get a similar error.

i tried installing another copy of mIRC to use a allround script with (similar error too!)

i'm thinking that the computer is acting as though i've got a firewall that's disallowing access to the internet from changed programs -- I'm not running a firewall (not even windows' firewall).

until recently, i had my ethernet modem (SAR110) plugged directly into my computer. now its hooked into my Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless access point router with 4 port switch which is plugged into my computer and wirelessly connected to another.

is it possible the linksys router is responsable? any ideas would be greatly appreciated Smiley
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The cause may be your router.
I find that not all facilities of MSN Messenger are usable with mine due to the NAT (Network Address Translation) properties of said router.
If I log on with my old 56k modem everything works.

I believe (hope) that a new issue of MSN is coming out which will solve some of the problems.
N/A

you say not all the facilities - i've heard this as well - what about the most basic: logginh in? :?
N/A

have you got the default gatreway set up to point to your router as this could cuase it
N/A

MSN does not like NAT, so it doesnt like routers...

It should log on ok though.

They only times i get the spectacualry vauge errors is when i set up IE to use my unverities proxy server. MSN tries your IE connection settings first, but it doesnt prompt for your proxy password if it fails then, it just tries what ever else MS think is a good idea. If you are using a proxy some where along the line configure it directly in msn...

I take it you can browse the web ok?
Community Veteran

you say not all the facilities - i've heard this as well - what about the most basic: logginh in? :?

The only things it seems not to want to do is using audio talking and file sharing.
Otherwise chatting to other users via the keyboard works fine.
N/A

One thing I have noticed with XP, it can enable its own firewall for no reason, yet show it as inactive.

Try enabling it, then disabling it (making sure to apply changes between).

MSN should log in without issue, regardless of NAT.

As for the default gateway, if this wasn't set, then no connection at all would work.
N/A

thanks for the idea but it did no good Sad