cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[censored] plusnet

N/A

[censored] plusnet

I am constantly loosing my internet connection...when this happens its takes ages to re-connect. Also BOTH of the line splitters I was sent have proved to be faulty and any attempt to report these problems either means a £54 bill to me or a 25 min wait on their 'customer service' line.

Anyone else experiencing these probsHuhHuh??

QOR

[Moderator note by acarr (phil) : Removed profanity from the subject line, causing the swear filter to incorrectly address the topic. please do not do this]
19 REPLIES
N/A

[censored] plusnet

Yes same problem here, and Brother has just called said his plusnet connection keeps dropping

I guess adsl is broken...
N/A

[censored] plusnet

Is it dropping sync?

Is there a nearby thunderstorm?
N/A

[censored] plusnet

thunderstorms left here about 3hrs ago,,

its loosing sync,

I have 5 other customers that have just called me to ask is there a problem.
N/A

[censored] plusnet

Things are slowly coming back to normal not had a sync problem in the last 20 mins, Guess +net have kicked there server
Community Veteran

[censored] plusnet

Losing sync has nothing to do with PlusNet. If you lose sync then it's a problem between you and the local exchange - i.e. BT not PlusNet.

PlusNet have no control over the connection between you and the exchange so cannot be respnsible for lost syncs.

Most likely your local area (and those of the others you indicated) suffered lightning strikes which affected telephone and other services to some extent.
xblade
Grafter

Re: [censored] plusnet

I am constantly loosing my internet connection...when this happens its takes ages to re-connect. Also BOTH of the line splitters I was sent have proved to be faulty and any attempt to report these problems either means a £54 bill to me or a 25 min wait on their 'customer service' line.

Anyone else experiencing these probsHuhHuh??

Yes, a friend that I referred to -net had to get a bt engineer out to fix connection, but it was due to faulty splitters from -net. Have been hearing of others receiving faulty equipment, but before it is discovered what problem is causing the fault the customer has already had to pay out extra - very poor service
QOR

[Moderator note by acarr (phil) : Removed profanity from the subject line, causing the swear filter to incorrectly address the topic. please do not do this]
N/A

[censored] plusnet

Yeah, I thought it was the filters in my case. I had similar problems at first. The router would drop synch, reacquire, drop, reacquire. Are you sure it's the filters?

A new filter didn't help me. Ripping the old telephone extension cabling out of the master socket did. Aluminium telephone extension cable is toxic to the ADSL signal, no matter how many different filters you've plugged in. This information should be made much more publicly visible than it currently is.

Try plugging your filter and equipment into the engineer socket inside the BT master socket. If you get a clean signal and lower attenuation then you've cracked it. If not then you need more help!
N/A

[censored] plusnet

I lost my ADSL connection at roughly the same time tonight as yesterday. But there's another curious coincidence. Whenever ADSL drops, I dial in and look at the status page. Both days, it showed nothing.

When I checked the customer service status page I noticed an unusually long waiting time and number of calls on hold so I assumed it was not just my problem and rebooted my router a couple of times and soon I was back on.

Tonight, already suspicious at the time of the disconnection, I went immediately to the customer service page. The number of calls on hold seemed to go up with each refresh, again it's not just me I figured and dialed up.

Now, I admit, I've had a shitty day and really was probably quite some way from an ideal mood for talking to PlusNet but the guy I got through to wound me up further by wanting to go through the test routine involving me yanking out cables and filters and plugging my router into a different sockets in the house and god knows what else. (Is this just a clever tactic for getting people off the phone?)

As if. WHY am I going to start messing about with equipment that has been working flawlessly for several years (yes, I'm a long term PN customer) because I had to reboot my router twice in two days? When I said I wasn’t interested in tackling cable hell, he gave me the old "If BT investigate it and it's your fault you'll be charged £54".

I basically rang up to find out if they knew of a problem and if it could be related to PN's idle timeout policy (which I'm also extremely peeved about but that's another story) which I was told that would not affect me. Failing that I would have asked if their logs could shed more light on the reason for my sudden outage.

I don't know how this guy managed to suck me down the newbie road and wind me up so easily or why I seemed unable to deal with it with it properly. Perhaps it was the Tuna Pasta I was eating at the time. Like I say, I was not in the mood.

PlusNET are ok. though with their much-hyped fair usage system, which I thought was reasonably fair, getting suddenly abandoned and now this not-always-on policy, which I read somewhere has been or may also be abandoned, I'm wondering if PlusNet's direction may be a little too whimsical at times. I've no idea where they'll go next.

Are you in financial dire straits PlusNet? If not, then how's about leaving everything as it is? Surely if you have customers like me that have been with you for years, that indicates that we like your service. We've you it above your numerous competitors, several of which are more highly rated on ADSLGuide, haven’t we?. So how about leaving it alone? Don't foist changes on people happy as they are. Like me and probably the majority.

If things are THAT bad, why not just up the prices a bit? People are going to leave you on principle alone if you keep trying to implement daft policies. Who on Earth would leave on principle if the prices went up by £1 per month? Do people that tight even exist?
N/A

[censored] plusnet

Hi there,

Frustrating as they are, disconnects are not caused by Plus Net. This is down to your local setup such as filters or wiring, BT problems or electrical (RF) interferance at or near your premises.

The diagnostics requested by PN, whilst appearing to be a pain in the proverbial, are necessary and are dictated by BT before a fault can be progressed. It is best to follow the support agents advice / requests. It is given for very good reason.

The idle timeouts,for BB+ and Home Surf customers, if they are ever implemented will not affect most users, providing they use somthing like a mail client to check for email every 20 mins or so. At the end of the day the timeout will only occur if the connection is not in use.

PN have not said they will implement these timeouts, they merely reserve the right to do so, if required.

Things in general with Plus net are not as bad as are sometimes protrayed. Customer communication can and has been poor, spin levels are high and perhaps too many changes implemented and poorly communicated at once have led to a lot of customer dissatisfaction. But financially, the company seems to be sound and probably will remain so.

Persevere with the support requests, painful as they might seem and you will get your problem resolved.

Good luck.
N/A

[censored] plusnet

Cheers. To be honest, I'm just venting.

As I said, I only phoned up to ask if PN knew of a problem. That answer was no and I decided to keep an eye on the situation for a few days.

The guy I got through to seemed to assume from the second I said "my connection dropped" that I wanted to to log a fault with BT and go through thr rigmorol described above. I didn't, I just called for information because I felt the timing was strange.

I've had a couple of fallings out with PlusNet over the years but compared to many companies in the UK they're not that bad. Some people are very unfair and I wouldn't like to be considered one of them.

Call waiting times are going up though.
keithcalder
Grafter

[censored] plusnet

I find that as soon as something goes wrong, most people ar e ready to blame plusnet. I've been here for years and only once did I have a problem, and it was my line and BT at fault. Plus have been taking heavy floggings recently, but lets not forget that this is a business and as such must change with the times, otherwise they would go out the door.

All I can say is that this is the best ISP I have been with in 10 years, they have been consistent and I pay less now than I did 2 years ago, so I cant see where all the groans are from. I often find that people who have alot of problems are mostly inexperienced pc users who only know how to switch the thing on and off and this is where the trouble starts.

Just my two bobs worth, and well done Plusnet.!!
N/A

[censored] plusnet

I think you are correct PN are taking flak for BT's poor service, but do you go to, say, DELL and purchase a laptop, which then has a defective hard drive and have to chase up Western Digital for a solution? No you dont, PlusNet purchase a service from BT if that service is not providing customers of PN as per the product they sign up for then surely it's PN that should be doing all the running around getting it fixed.

This is my 2 bobs worth after 3 weeks of continually degrading service and CS.
N/A

[censored] plusnet

No, but it wouldn't be unexpected for Dell to require that you follow diagnostic steps as set out by Western Digital.

As big a pain as it is to log fault, there is method in the madness.

Another thing that quite a few people forget is when you request help, you need to be willing to receive it.

As much as the onus is on PlusNet to fix problems, they are afterall guys & gals at a desk in Sheffield. They are not in your property, they do not know your setup in any sort of detail and they certainly don't know if or not the fact your connection was working, is a sign everything was setup correctly (9 in 10 self-setup problems I attended in my previous job, were people that found the device worked, and gave up completing the setup. AKA, hardly surprising when it broke).

So when they ask you questions, you should not treat it as a chore to do the things they ask. Only you can check cables, only you can complete the requirements of the diagnostics process.

It may be a chore, but they are also likely going to save 9 in 10 callers a administration charge from BT.
N/A

[censored] plusnet

Maybe the support/cs team should have a couple of initial questions for customers.
1- have you followed all the checks set out in our FAQ/Tutorials on line/service problems

2- Are you an experienced IT/BT/Technical person

This may cut frustration levels at both customer and PN locations.
Just a thought.