cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant ping my static Plusnet IP from outside network

N/A

Hi there,

A hello to everyone this is my first message on this forum, 'cos plusnet adsl has been workin fine for me!!!! well other than this little niggle.

I am having difficulties pinging my plusnet ip from outside my network (i.e from work!) so port forwarding using VNC does not work, although other prt fowarding apps like bit torrent manager works fine.

I have checked the setup of my network and it seems fine. My network includes Dlink 300t Adsl Modem (recently upgraded firmware to latest version) and Linksys WRT54Gv1.1 (recently upgraded to V3.03) Wireless Router. I am aware of the issues between these 2 pieces of hardware but the firmware updates seem to made my network much better!
I have tried unticking "block anonymous requests" in the firewall setup on the router and i still cant ping my ip from outside, even disabling all firewalls....eeekk!!! oh yes even tried putting my pc in the DMZ Shocked (yes i know a stoopid move but i did it quickly!!) still no pingage.

I was told by every helpful Plusnet Sales peeps (when i 1st started the contract) that if I was given a 1meg line that it should work ok but im "apparently" just within the reach of the local exchange,so sometimes the internet goes a bit sketchy...not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Any ideas fellow techies??

Thanks for reading this post!!

Cheers

fatbOT@pimpin
9 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I can't ping my plusnet IP, but have no problem using VNC. I just forwarded the right ports for both TCP and UDP, on both my router firewall and the Windows XP firewall, and it worked straight off.

Phil
N/A

hi thanks for that, have set that all up and will attempt vnc 2morrow from work,!

Cheers

fatbOT :O)
N/A

hi

quite a lot of routers come pre-configured to drop ping requests so that others can't discover and then attempt to hack your router.

Netgear for example have a specific setting for this seperate to the firewall config

It's best not to allow your router to respond to pings .

hope that helps
N/A

Ah ha didnt think of that makes perfect sense. I shall just try to connect to the right ports first and ignore the no ping!!!! I foolishly forgot to turn my pc on before i left for work so i cant play! booger.

Thanks for advice i shall let ye all know what happens!!

fatbOT Smiley
N/A

Nope still nuddah Sad

Any more ideas peeps? Smiley
Community Veteran

Nope still nuddah Sad

Any more ideas peeps? Smiley

Are you saying that you have enabled ping from internet, but it has been no help to you? Or are you saying you have found no setting for it? :?

If it's the later, then I think this is the part in your router manual to look for.
Advanced settings/Options.
N/A

Yes i have that set in my router already, with that option ticked or untick i have tried almost every option available!!and i still cant ping it Sad

NE more clues ?

Is there any kinda table i can put up here and show wots going on in my network?

i dunno anymore.....

lol
Community Veteran

This is going to sound patronising, but honestly it isn't intended to!

Are you sure you are entering the correct IP?
Check here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

I know the likelyhood of you making a foobar regarding your own IP are slim to none. But I do similar things all the time! Which is why I tend to work on the "KISS principle"! (Keep It Simple Stupid)IE: Check the most obvious things one after another.

BTW I have been accused before now of being a bit simple! But I quickly put them in their place by highlighting the fact that I am acctualy just stupid!! Tongue
N/A

What ports are you forwarding? the default port for VNC is 5800 I think. 5900 if your using it through web browser?