cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant connect to +net webpage

owlguard
Grafter

Hello,ive got netgear wireless connection and i have noticed that if i leave my pc for a while,after disabling my netgear,when i try to get back to plusnet home page,its impossible,tonight i have tried 30 times,i always have to switch my pc off and then restart,it seems to be ok after that,it connects me to internet first time usually.Any ideas anyone.
regards ray.
4 REPLIES
N/A

What do you mean you disable your netgear? There has been other post like this are you using dhcp and if so how long is the lease? It could be your pc isnt getting its ip after its disabled. Try start run cmd the ipconfig /renew next time it happens and see if that solves it.

If you actually disabling the network card you may have to reboot to get it back why are you disabling it?
owlguard
Grafter

Hi there,disable seems to be the only way to turn off your netgear router before you then close down your pc,I.E.i right click toolbar then click the disable,above status,repair e.t.c.I then restart netgear wireless connection after rebooting pc.Sorry for being so ignorant but im a learner and the other things you addressed in your reply i havent got a clew about that,sorry.
regards ray.
N/A

Hmm,

All you are doing in that case is turning off the network card in your computer - which is off whilst your computer is off any way. (Kinda like turning off your car stereo before turning off the ignition which would turn the stereo off on its own)

Routers are designed to be on all the time, hence there is no power switch incorporated in the design.

If you do want to turn off your router, the only way is to switch it off at the wall.

You can tell it to disconnect from the internet via the web interface http://192.168.0.1 by default I believe, which is best practice due to the way it communicates with the kit in the exchange to tell it that its a planned or expected disconnection (so it won't effect your stable rate etc)

I wouldn't recommend powering off or unplugging a router very often if there is any way to avoid it, but it is personal choice.
owlguard
Grafter

Thanks very much for that reply.Its so difficult when your a thick 58 year old tyke.Would i be correct in saying just leave the router-modem on,dont bother disabling at all but shut down pc whilst its still on and leave it on,even if i go away from pc for a while,i just thought that i was being a good boy and not taking up any of the plusnet services from anyone else who is using plusnet,just close int explorer down first.Ive noticed that sometimes ive done this,the modem-router automatically opens up properly on its own.
regards ray.