cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i use my aclcatel adsl modem

N/A

hi i have an alcatel adsl modem left over from my last isp i was just wondering how i could use this with my plusnet broadband.the drivers i have for it are for tiscali.i have downloaded the modem drivers from their website .jsu wondering if its possible.thanks
13 REPLIES
N/A

yes you can use it, as you said make sure the driver is up to date, the only thing is when it asks for a number, you have to do either one of two things if I remember rightly.

when it asks for a phone number, you either leave it black or put a zero as the number..

Please someone else correct me if I am mistaken!
holdtight
Grafter

Yes it should be fine !

use seperate drivers for it not the tiscali disk that came with it
best place to get the latest drivers available is the manufacturers
web site

Before you install make sure you have all the relevent settings to connect to +net

(edited 11:15)

if i remember rightly (its been a while) you dont need to put any numbers in if its win xp if its 98 i think it is 0,38
N/A

its cool

got it working i had to get the drivers from tiscali's website(finally they're good for something)as the drivers on the alcatel site are just updates but alls working and looking good.its supposed to be one of the best modems so heres hoping it all goes well

thanks for the tips anyway guys
N/A

slow speed

ok its workin fine but woth really slow speeds.about 42 kb\s with a 1mb connection ive updated all the drivers its an older modem prob about 2 years old could this have anything to do with it..
Community Veteran

All ADSL modems should work up th 8mB on downloading so it should be fine.

Just a couple of point though.
1. You quoted 42 kb\s . Do you really mean this or is it 42kB sec.
Note the capital B which means bytes rather then bits for the small b
If it Bytes then its actually downloading at 8 x 42 = 336 k bits. Still slow for a 1 meg link.

2. Where was the download test from? as this can affect speed greatly.
N/A

yeah its 48.9kbps i used the plusnets own speed checker
Community Veteran

If it really is that slow it looks as though you are still using Dial up :?
Are you sure the old modem isnt still workingHuh
N/A

i know it is slow,everythings fine when i use my binatone modem i got from plusnet. i wanted to use the alcatel modem to save me having to unplug the binatone everytime the kids want to use the internet on theyre pc.and no im not going wireless costs a fortune i dont want to share my connection,i just want to save me the hassle of unplugging it all and moving it through to theyre pc then having to plug it all back in.i cant see any where i can configure the modem the options that i can see cant be changed.
N/A

if you mean by fine with the PN modem, that its working at full speed, and not with the alcatel, I would say the alcatel is faulty, I used my old green cowpat for 2 or 3 years, but then a friend suggested a router, very cheap they are these days, and it doesnt need to be wireless as long as you dont mind the cable!
N/A

thats what ive been looking for i dont mind tha cable its just so hard to find any info other than wireless.im more than happy with wires where do i find out more about this is there anything here on plusnet.
N/A

Buying a router is no problem.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNTaG93UmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D

As for setting one up, you can get help on here with everybody, and the great thing about them is that once they are set up, thats it, no need to mess with them again, all you have to do then is plug the two computers in.

What you need to do is get peoples opinions, or make up your own mind lol, about which to get 2 or 4 port, for example, you want the two computers on it, do your kids have a games console they want to take online? getting a 4 port maybe better.

Am sure there are peeps on here far better suited to give you network advice than me, and am sure one will post for you mate
Community Veteran

i wanted to use the alcatel modem to save me having to unplug the binatone everytime the kids want to use the internet on theyre pc..

Are you saying here that you are trying to comnnect two ASDL modems to the line at the same time?
If so it wont work. Your best option is as already suggested. If you dont mind having a cable or two then go for a modem/router.
You can pick up 4 port ones now for £40 ish.
You will also need a network card in each PC. If there not already fitted then they will cost you less than £10 each.

As for 4 port routers then I suggest eather a netgear one or the latest D-link 504T. Both are very easy to setup.

See the adslguide site for reviews on routers.
N/A

nah not at the same time no i was disconnecting one before connecting the other it is worling,just at dial up speeds.thanks for the help looks like a router job.ill have a loot thanks guys the helps appreciated.