cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can anyone explain?

N/A

can anyone explain?

hi, i've been upgraded to 8mb. it was suposed to be done by last wednesday but i just read a post where it mentioned BT takes another 7ish days to fix the line. But including this time, i should be on 8mb by now.

i've just tested my line from:

http://speedtester.bt.com/

the result for test 1 was:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3712 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2240 kbps

I then carried out a test on plusnet's speed tester:

2.77 Mbps

Which means I can download at 354.9 KB/sec. from plisnet's servers.

1)Can someone tell me how (IF) this is correlated to 8mb connection

2) whether this is what i should expect from an 8mb connection

3) if i'm shouldn't expect this, why is it deviating and how can achieve the max or least closer to 8mb connection speed.

thanks, and i hope this post helps a load of other people who are also bemused.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

can anyone explain?

8Mb is n ot an 8Mb connection, it is classed as an Up to 8Mb connection. This in itself is a theoretical maximum as well. It all depends on how far you are from the exchange, how good a quality your line is,and many other things. Your BT line tests shows you have aline profile of 3Mb, which is the max your line will attain, if you remain synced at 3712kbps.

A good explanation of ADSLMax is here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl.htm

It should explain a few things for you.
Community Veteran

can anyone explain?

Should have also asked, what are you using a USB Modem or a router. Depending on which the Kitz site will also tell you how to find your line stats, which are a good indication of the fastests speed you will attain. If you can find these and post them, we can see if 3Mb is a good speed for your line or not.

As a comparison, I have a sync of 5862, which gives me a 5Mb Profile. If you get your stats, compare with my attenuation which is 42dB. My parents struggle to get 1Mb, with an attenuation of 61dB, so you can see the differences. Hope all this helps.
Liam
Grafter

can anyone explain?

Hi there,

MaxDSL is a rate-adaptive service and provides speeds of "Upto 8Mb". Factors such as distance from exchange and quality of your line can determine which actual speed you connect at. It looks as though in your case, you are acheiving around 3Mb.

Based on this connection speed, and your IP profile of 3000, your actual throughput isn't bad.

Hope that helps.
N/A

can anyone explain?

hey,

these are the stats i just managed to get:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3712 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.0 db 21.0 db
Noise Margin 8.7 db 23.0 db
N/A

can anyone explain?

also, people on my road, not too far away from me, have higher speeds, why is this possible? why would my line be slower than theirs?
Community Veteran

can anyone explain?

Your attenuation is not bad, and you have a good margin as well. i would have thought you would get faster speeds than that. Are you using a router or a modem. If its a modem, have you got drivers that support a high speed service?? The speedtouch 330, has special drivers for up to 8Mb.

You could try going to DSLReports.com, and running the tweak test. It worked for my laptop, that was only getting 2.5Mb, when my main system was getting 5Mb. If you are not sure how to use this, post back the RWIN value you get.
N/A

can anyone explain?

hey mate, im using a router, specifically its Netgear DG834 GT, il try what u said and report back to ya.

cheers
N/A

can anyone explain?

these are the full results from dslreports.com:

Receive Window (RWIN): 65535
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1418
TTL: unknown
TTL remaining: 122
TOS/TOS subfield: 0
TOS/Flags:
2. Test Download

Actual data bytes sent: 1092065
Actual data packets: 772
Max packet sent (MTU): 1458
Max packet recd (MTU): 1458
Retransmitted packets: 48
sacks you sent: 128
pushed data pkts: 77
data transmit time: 60.527 secs
our max idletime: 967.2 ms
transfer rate: 16556 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 132 kbits/sec
transfer efficiency: 93%
Community Veteran

can anyone explain?

Well I was hoping your RWIN was low, as this is what solved my issues. You could try ajusting it, as per the recommendations on the site with Dr TCP, but I dont think it will have a great impact on the situation. Hopefully one of the comms guys can help a bit more. Are you connecting the router to your phone,line via an extension, or via the master socket. If via an extension, you could see what stats you get from the master socket. If the sync is higher, it could be a poor extension cable.
N/A

can anyone explain?

well basically, i have two sockets in my house. they are both upstairs. in one room, the telephone line is hooked up and its going thru a filter. in the other room the net is hooked up to the socket without a filter. so i guess the main socket is probably the one with the telephone line. i will connect the net cable to that socket and what speeds i obtain.
N/A

can anyone explain?

Do you mean your router is connected without a filter? Unless this extension is itself passing through a filter then this might be the source of your problems.

All devices on the line MUST have filters in order to operate properly.

Try installing a filter, leaving it for a few days, and seeing if that's made a difference.

Rebooting/reconnecting the router once a day will help this process.
N/A

can anyone explain?

i have filters on both connections, i have a filter for the router and the telephone. i still don't believe i should be getting only a 3mb connection, because my neighbours have a 3 times faster connection than me.
chymorva
Grafter

can anyone explain?

Do you mean your router is connected without a filter? Unless this extension is itself passing through a filter then this might be the source of your problems.

All devices on the line MUST have filters in order to operate properly.

Try installing a filter, leaving it for a few days, and seeing if that's made a difference.

Rebooting/reconnecting the router once a day will help this process.

Hmm.... Sorry to disagree with you lestones, but the router itself does not need a filter. Shockedops:

A filter normally has a telephone type plug (which goes into the wall socket) and 2 sockets - 1 marked 'phone' the other marked 'ADSL'.
The 'phone' socket is filtered so that the equipment does not interfere with ADSL and vice-versa.
The 'ADSL' socket is a straight through connection with no filtering.

In my set-up I have firstly an extension plug which feeds through to my study. In the back of that extension plug I have my filter which has my phone plugged into it.
In my study I have no filter, the router plugs directly into the extension socket.
N/A

can anyone explain?

Not strictly true from what I recall.

The cheaper filters (such as the ones you get free) prevent interferance by blocking it at source, ie by filtering just the phone side.

This works relatively well, since routers etc incorporate their own filter usually to eradicate interferance from other sources.

On more expensive filters, a belt and braces approach is taken, with the telephony signal being filtered AND the ADSL signal also being filtered.

This can be proven by butchering a couple of filters to take a look at the wiring.

Often, the filters which filter both sides, are described as being designed for 'long lines' this is because long lines are more likely to pick up interferance, and are also more likely to be operating at the edge of the tolerances.

Incidentally, a number of review houses have disregarded the filters which do not filter both parts independantly, as they don't see any worth in even trying to see if they meet the BT Standards.