cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

but i wannaaaaa 24mb - a dusty town in spain has it

N/A

hmmm

The uk the island of inventers a place of amazing and talented people and visionaries .... led by limited leaders

24mb jazztel + 30 TV channels = 22 quid and includes better weather and food

:0)

So come on plusnet get the 24mb service up and running pronto and kick bt somewhere to get their act together

I`m off to spain soon as the UK is to far behind (wasnt always like this)

and japan with a 100mb and 1 gig connection lol --- you got to search for this you will laugh at the connections in the UK hehe
31 REPLIES
N/A

Im sure they have fibre optic cables in Japan though, and we don't....i cant see how we can change without ripping up all the current telephone wires and putting down fibre optics. Very costly and very hard to do id guess, but correct me if im wrong with any of that info!
shellsong
Grafter

Part of the trouble is BT isn't allowed to use fibre for the "final mile"-- it would give them an "unfair advantage" over the cable companies! This was a decision made in the early 90s when British Telecom had lots of money and wanted to "fibre up" every home in the country-- Britain, the land of lost opportunities!

Governments of both main persuasions managed to drop the baton on this!
N/A

yeah costly

Look man fibre is cheaper then ever.... bt with their over the top prices have ripped us blind over the years... you telling me they cant do this.... and these cable companies are far and few to say the least ....well at least in wales anyway...

I know that one fibre makes far better sense then cruddy copper... at least from a long term point of view...

Thing is ... this slow net tech is the cause of SLOW development in the IT sectors and really can cripple many internet dependant businesses across the UK... I know that a 24mb for research use would save me life and time... it would also allow better technologies to flourish instead of all these leftovers the public are given... I dunnoo if I only I wasnt born here :0) Fast connections mean fast advertising... better publishing .... better conferences .... well..... better

Kind of starting to hate these suits who make these mental discisions just to save a buck or to ... then only to find out it costs them far more in later on down the line (no pun intended)

oh ... hum :0)
Community Veteran

Re: yeah costly

Look man fibre is cheaper then ever.... bt with their over the top prices have ripped us blind over the years... you telling me they cant do this....

OFCOM will not allow BT to use fibre because it is deamed anti-competitive as explained earlier.
N/A

we havent got cable here

Anti competitive -- thats just business...

Always something to stop progress though ... grrrr

Why dont they all just use fibre... common ground

cable is naff anyway

They tried it down here didnt do much really.... and NTL lol

OFCOM are annoying .... silly people... I blame those tight ties they wear... cuts of the blood to their brains

Community Veteran

If it weren't for OFCOM, BT would just walk all over the competition by dropping their prices or using equipment that meant no-one could compete and it would still be a monopoly.
N/A

yes and we would have tip top tech

Hi there

But we wouldnt be a laughing stock to the asians then would we... they seem to manage quite fine... and many other countries on creating an equal tech balance between all companies..... commond ground lines everyone makes out fine... you do realise that alot of companies charge much lower then BT does and still do quite well... the monopoly part is not really accurate.... You see because a company is large doesnt mean its out goings are lower then a smaller more punchier company in a relative comparison

Otherwise the likes of plusnet and many wouldn`t exist.... And techinically BT DO have a monopoly for many areas in the UK anyway.... yet I`ve got plusnet in a BT area .... how odd... how the hell does laying down fibes to the home raelly matter :0) It would make the others companies improve instead of using outdated systems that

Imagine if bt did lay down fibre tech here plusnet would have this advantage also wouldn`t they :0) and going by BT`s history its doubtful they would undercut any of these smaller companies as it makes sense to have them look after sections of the networks so BT would make a better profit. then with their own techs and maintenance crews

Small businesses dont have the overheads like the large ones and the large ones tend to have a lot of finacial leakage.... so monopolies ... lol nope they cannot really exist... its really all down to the gov not liking such a powerful company that they end up with more spare change then they do :0)

But regardless of this carbussle.... i`m off to a country and others that havent got these short sighted ideas... I want progress... it makes me more and allows more tax to be generated... of course the gov has messed up on this part to .... by limiting technology .... just another wonderful blunder of this countries leaderships

Not just in the IT sectors either..... no wonder our taxes are so dam high :0)

No matter though at some point this country has to vasly improve its tech... it has to happen .. so why not just get it out of the way to save a fortune later on down the line
Discostoo
Grafter

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't there successful trials in Japan where they're getting speeds of 138MB using the power supply cables to supply internet to homes?
N/A

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/business/japanese_internet_market.html

Check here

100mb fibre etc is reasonably covered but at least people have the option with out the over priced luxery of it all.

There are lots of other types adsl adsl2+ etc

but fibre just rocks

nothing to touch it in terms of price to perfomance
N/A

oh heres a comparision

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3278375.stm

kinda funny really :0)
Discostoo
Grafter

makes you sick that eh? I still blame Maggie Thatcher. :lol:
N/A

http://www.dannychoo.com/blogg_post/eng/67/

drool you people

7.8mb a sec faster then my dvd can transfer
lol
N/A

I have heard that BT in the future are planning wireless connections which will run at 2GB. They will not only provide your home phone through this but digital TV and your internet connection.

Knowing BT though, this could be ten years or more down the road. Why lay fibre when you don't need to.
N/A

if its anything like my keyboards and its inherent ability to tlks elir sej ahem.... like this from time to time

firbe is realible

Wireless has its moments... espcially when you need it the cvos (most)

dam batteries