cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

built in firewall config.

Brickinit
Grafter

i have recently brought a mentor MR4A modem router, although it was easy to do the basic set-up, up and running in minutes, i have not found out how to set up the built in firewall to enable myself to communicate with audio or video using MSN or Netmeeting. do i need to setup port fowarding or am i barking up the wrong tree. any help would be appreciated. i have noticed a lot of people having simular problems with these built in firewalls with the set-up being done through browsers instead of software.i sure that if someone can help me with this task it would enlighten many others

malc
5 REPLIES
Brickinit
Grafter

this aint looking very promising Cry
N/A

there are a lot of problems with things like msn & Mirc through a firewall as they use so many ports. There is no problem if you start the connection from behind the firewall as it then knows to forward the port back. If something trys to start the connection then it will be blocked.

The only way to get it to work is to put the pc in the dmz zone so everthing goes to the pc. Start msn and try you file sharing webcam etc and see what ports are open.

You can get free port monitors off the net. when you have all the ports remove it from the dmz and forward the port you found it used to the pc.

Be aware you are at risk while your in th edmx zone so be sure your are full patched.

You can check the ports in xp like this but its a pain

Q. How can I determine which ports a specific process is using on
Windows XP and later?

A. If you want to find out which ports a process is using and you know
the process name, you must first determine the process identifier
(PID). For example, to identify the PID for the pop3svc.exe process
running on my system, I went to the command prompt and typed

c:\> tasklist /fi "IMAGENAME eq pop3svc.exe"

This command returned the following information:

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
POP3Svc.exe 3044 RDP-Tcp#9 0 2,072 K

The second column shows the PID, which I can then use with the Netstat
command to search all in-use ports. For example, if I type

c:\> netstat -ano | findstr 3044

my system returns the following information:

TCP 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 3044

This result shows that the POP3 service was using TCP port 110 on all
addresses.

You can also perform a reverse operation to find out which process is
associated with a port. For example, to identify which process is
using port 25, I could go to the command prompt and type

c:\> netstat -ano | findstr :25

On my system, this command returns the following information:

TCP 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2500

After I identify the process (in this case, 2500), I can determine the
process name by typing

c:\> tasklist /fi "PID eq 2500"

which returns the following information on my system:

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
inetinfo.exe 2500 RDP-Tcp#9 0 5,584 K
Brickinit
Grafter

thanks for the info mwright, found a free port monitor i am using ME so will not be able to use the XP option. is it possible to turn off the built in firewall and just use outpost as i have in the passed with my usb modem, as i could find my way around that piece of software without too many problems.

malc
N/A

I dont the router but you should be able to disable the firewall bit and use outpost.
Oupost has a port monitor built into it so you can see the ports in use. Outpost wont be as good as the one in the router as outpost is taking some processing away from the cpu, on th eother hand oupost can be updated were the router isnt normaly upgraded.
Brickinit
Grafter

i have put the pc in dmz zone and reverted back to outpost for now at least this has allowed me to speak to my contacts now. i have a resonable amount of processing power so i am not to aduly worried about that, and outpost seemed to give good protecting along side Sophos. thanks for your help, i hope this will be of use to others on here as i often see people struggling to get to grips with their built in firewalls and communication software.

many thanks again

malc