cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bt wholesale adsl - 50 or 1

N/A

bt wholesale adsl - 50 or 1

you know that BT adsl wholesale is around £15 and plusnet charge us £22.99 or so. Do they make £7 ish or have they purchased the line for £15 and then split it between the fifty people (50:1 contention ratio)so getting back 50x£23 = £1150.
Id just like to know ,as i sit here with my very slow £22.99 conection. Its reasonable speed in middle of night, but 7pm, its just a joke.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: bt wholesale adsl - 50 or 1

BT Wholesale charge £17.33 (inc VAT) per month for each end user. The rental of each BT Central 155 Mbit/s is £47000 (inc VAT) per annum. PlusNet will then obviously have lots of overheads on top of this.
chino
Grafter

> BT Wholesale charge £17.33 (inc VAT) per month for each end user. The rental of each BT Central 155 Mbit/s is £47000 (inc VAT) per annum. PlusNet will then obviously have lots of overheads on top of this.
>

yes and thats even before all the networking costs...

cUnDaLl

--

1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

That's not how the contention works. It's explained on www.adslguide.org.uk. Basically, there's a 50:1 contention on a 1M connection at the exchange, capped at 512K per user. This means that, theoretically, if all 50 users are d/l at the same time, your bandwidth drops to a minimum of ~200K. That's why business accounts have a ratio of 20:1, thus "guaranteeing" a minimum of 512K.
However, as we have seen over the past few weeks, the connection speed you have through the exchange has bugger all to do with the actual transfer rates in practice.......
I was experiencing similar evening slow-downs, have you tried optimising your TCP/IP (see threads on MTU etc) my data transfer speeds more than doubled after I corrected my settings. I now consistently get 470K down and 240K up anytime of day or night Smiley

> you know that BT adsl wholesale is around £15 and plusnet charge us £22.99 or so. Do they make £7 ish or have they purchased the line for £15 and then split it between the fifty people (50:1 contention ratio)so getting back 50x£23 = £1150.
> Id just like to know ,as i sit here with my very slow £22.99 conection. Its reasonable speed in middle of night, but 7pm, its just a joke.

N/A

Just wondering how do u do this MTU thingy?

Regards
Wax
N/A

Check out the other threads on the MTU settings. I'd recomend using the DRTCP tool if you're using windows. Take a look at www.dslreports.com. there's a tutorial & you can d/l drtcp from there too..... I really didn't think it'd make that much difference - specially since I'm using a router - but like I said, the speed's doubled for me. I also tried speed tests on an untweeked pc on the same router & confirmed that it was still getting slow speeds. Tweeked the 2nd machine and hey-presto double your speed. TCP/IP really is a black art! Smiley

> Just wondering how do u do this MTU thingy?
>
> Regards
> Wax
>