cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bt vourger 100

N/A

bt vourger 100

hi just brought a laptop with windows vista,when i put the driver disk for the modem,it loads up then it says operation system will not store the driver,i just wondered if its because of the new windows,and if so how will i get the driver which will run windows vista,
please could somebode help thank u
carl
8 REPLIES
N/A

bt vourger 100

Generally USB modems are not compatible with Windows Vista as yet, and many never will be. The obvious solution to this is to buy a router-
1. Buy a wired modem/router from PlusNet, PC Worldor Dabs.com. Locate this next to the telephone point and run a patch cable (A84CF) through your house to the network port on your computer. As well as providing a hardware firewall, which will dramatically improve your computer's security from attack, this will not lead to a drop in speed (due to extension cables) and will allow you to connect more than one computer to the internet simultaniously. See here for a highly recommended router.
2. Buy a wireless modem/router from PlusNet, PC World or Dabs.com. Locate this next to the telephone point and connect wirelessly to your computers. This will mean you do not need to run any cables through your house, but may mean you need to buy adaptors for your computers, depending on the hardware you are using. This solution will also not degrade your broadband speed, will provide you with a firewall and will allow a number of computers to connect to the internet simultaniously. See here for a highly recommended wireless router that also comes with a USB adaptor if your computer isn't already wireless enabled.

The reason why most USB devices won't work is given below (from a previous post)-
Unfortunately USB is heavily reliant on software to make it work- and every non-standard device will require it's own drivers to operate. I expect we'll see a raft of complaints as users find their kit won't operate on Microsoft's new kernel, although this is a far cry from the early days of the beta when almost no-one had Vista drivers and the majority of peripherals didn't work.
After two years of Beta testing, a lot of manufacturers have re-written their drivers for Vista, but the microphone on my Logitech USB webcam still doesn't work (although the webcam itself does) using the newest drivers.
Some of these problems will be fixed over time by manufacturers under consumer pressure as more users switch to Vista, but if your device is no longer supported then this is unlikely to say the least.
N/A

bt vourger 100

If you opt for wireless you might want to check out this post.
N/A

bt vourger 100

Most Netgear adapters have Vista driver downloads on the Netgear website.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

bt vourger 100

The main vista driver problems are for USB modems, not heard of many issues getting drivers for wireless dongles or cards.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

bt vourger 100

To clarify for the benefit of future readers (I've not been entirely clear here)-

Some of these problems will be fixed over time by manufacturers under consumer pressure as more users switch to Vista, but if your device is no longer supported then this is unlikely to say the least.

Devices still sold or supported by their manufacturer will probably have new Vista drivers available on the manfacturers website soon (if not already). The modem in question (BT Voyager 100) has not been sold for some time and I understand BT have no plans to release Vista drivers.
N/A

bt vourger 100

Generic plug and play devices like USB keys, external FDD or HDD should probably work as well- as in most cases these use well defined standards rather than device specific instruction sets.
johnmglen
Grafter

bt vourger 100

Seem to recall that the BT Voyager is not Vista compatible.
Isitme
Grafter

bt vourger 100

BT Voyager is not Vista compatible

It depends on the model, most have had drivers released and can be found HERE

Edit Fixed URL