cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

broadband speed

Can someone please advise me about my broadband speed.
Using the plusnet broadband speed checker my results have ranged from 71kbps to 907 kbps with an average figure of 470 kbps.

These tests have been carried out at various times during the day and on diffrent days. I also get the message that my speeds could be improved if I change settings on my computer but no indication is given about which settings.

I would welcome comments or advice on this... I am a newbie so please nothing to technical i.e. like altering registery settings.

Thank you
12 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

broadband speed

Can you have a read of this blog post to understand a bit about MaxDSL, how it works and troubleshooting.

Also perform a BT Speedtest (help here) and post the results here.

The line stats (SNR, attenuation) from your router will also help us diagnose the problem.
N/A

broadband speed

Sorry to barge my way into this topic, but I am also encountering odd speed problems.

I took this reading on the 21st June...

... and now my speed is this...

It's a very considerable difference in speed. I am also having problems connecting to my website's FTP server most of the day. I've touched nothing. I've checked my computer and used the fault checker, but there seems to be no explanation for it. Sad
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

broadband speed

@alantlud

Can you also post the information I requested earlier in the thread so we can help you troubleshoot.
Community Veteran

speedtester

I guess you will think I must be thick but I cant access speedtester.
It asks for my domain name.. Whats that ?
I have put in my user name and tried my password used to access plus net. It accepts neither saying they are both incorrect.

Please confirm what they mean by domain name.

Thanks
Community Veteran

broadband speeds

sorry for my previous message..... I Now see that they require my e-mail address. Results of test are as follows.

IP Profile is 500kbs
DSL Connection rate 448 kbps upstream 1056 kbps downstream

Actual IP throughout 459kbps
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

broadband speed

This will be the same as the username in your router- in your case gleneagles49@plusdsl.net

The speedtester does throw up odd errors from time to time, so it might be worth trying again later on if it's still giving you problems. Don't worry, as well as being temperamental it is rather confusing, it's not just you.

The help file I linked in the initial most might be worth a look.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

broadband speed

I see you've managed to get some results by yourself. At that sync speed (the speed your modem is connecting to the exchange) you won't see higher throughput.

Are you some distance from your exchange? That sync rate is very low, indicating a considerable distance. Are you able to post the line stats from your router?
Community Veteran

line stats

sorry I dont know how to post line stats. Please advise how i get these ?

Do you mean the results I got from plusnets broadband speed tester
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

broadband speed

Line stats will be available from your modem or router. This page gives details of how to find them with many common models. As a fairly new customer though you'll probably have a BT Voyager router, which aren't on kitz's pages yet, so you might want to have a look here.

The information we're looking for is downstream attenuation and signal noise ratio (SNR).
Community Veteran

broadband data

Thanks for your help so far, have certainly learned a lot.

The info you asked for is,

Downstream Upstream

Line Rate 992kbps 448kbps
Noise margin 12.5 Db 14.0 db
Line attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db

Output power 15.5 dbm 12.3 dbm
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

broadband speed

As above, your downstream attenuation is 63dB. This is pretty high, on the old ipstream services you'd have got no better tha 500kbit and that might have been patchy. Your downstream margin is healthy however and from the above you should be able to keep a stable service at ~1mb.

With regard to the drop in profile (this is what caused the patch of slow speeds) this is usually caused by a drop in connection due to noise/interference on the line and, if your profile hadn't reset since then, would suspect an intermittent fault. However the profile has uplifted so I would assume this was just a blip on the line.

If the speed is varying as regularly as suggested I'd say to check your logs (these should be in the same place that the line profile was found, or at least linked to from there) and if a lot of retrains/reconnections are shown then report this to us as a fault at http://faults.plus.net
Community Veteran

broadband speed

many thanks for all the help.

The line has been fairly stable over the past few days.

Will end the post here

Thanks again