cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband plus

quizereus
Grafter

broadband plus

Is there a problem in the maidstone area ?
All day yesterday and today, despite lots of deliberate disconnections nad reconnections my connection speed has been stuck on 256kbps- should be 8000 but to date has not managed to get past 6300. but 256 is no where near enough.

Quiz.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

broadband plus

Howdy neighbour

I'm in Asford not far from you and I've had no problems. This might be a genuine problem with your local BT exchange (though don't rule out PN being at fault too quickly). I can normally connect @ 7.6M BUT I don't actually get anywhere near that throughput..

Regards
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

broadband plus

Hi,

Looking at your line speed history from BT it shows that your line sync'd at a rate below 276kbps around 01/03/2007 22:20:17 and again around 04/03/2007 00:32:08. This will have caused BT to reduce the throughput speed on your line.

If you run the BT Speedtest:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

this should confirm this (you are looking for the IP Profile).

So long as the line syncs at a higher rate for at least 3-5 days then BT will automatically increase the throughput on the line.

The way that the up to 8Mbps speeds work is that it's based on a best efforts basis, it works on the limits of ADSL technology to give the best speed that each line will support, The longer the line the lower the maximum speed it will support. So while some lines will support the full 8Mbps sync, others will only do 6Mbps or 4Mbps or 2Mbps.
N/A

broadband plus

Why do BT (and the customer) have to wait 3-5 days. I'm suffering the same problem, a resync from BT and I don't know why.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

broadband plus

That's the way BT have designed Max. With a sync decrease the throughput shoould decrease straight away whereas an increase takes 3-5 days. The idea behind the BRAS profile is to prevent packet loss so without it there's a danger of a customer seeing lots of packet loss. The reason it takes 3-5 days to go is so that it only increases on stable lines. If the line is unstable it could be changing the BRAS every few minutes.
N/A

broadband plus

OK thanks.

I wish I could get two way sat broadband at a reasonable price. Or even a wireless connection for small communities.
I want to ditch BT altogether.

Smiley

I'm quite good at satellite,I've got seven dishes in my back garden.The postie says it looks like Jodrell Bank.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

broadband plus

:shock: 7 dishes :shock:

As Dave suggested keep an eye on your sync speeds over the next 3 days, any low syncs in this time will cause the 3 day period to start again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team