cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband first timer seeks advice

N/A

broadband first timer seeks advice

I have an older computer with Windows 98 and a dial up connection and have just bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP. I'd now like both to have broadband connection but I'm nervous about messing up what already works and I simply can't afford to lose Internet connection completely. Would XP fight with 98? Would they share my current firewall? Do I have to do anything fancy with the single telephone socket in the house? Any advice/cautionary tales/horror stories would be welcome.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: broadband first timer seeks advice

> I have an older computer with Windows 98 and a dial up connection and have just bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP. I'd now like both to have broadband connection but I'm nervous about messing up what already works and I simply can't afford to lose Internet connection completely. Would XP fight with 98? Would they share my current firewall? Do I have to do anything fancy with the single telephone socket in the house? Any advice/cautionary tales/horror stories would be welcome.

Maz

You don't say if you already have your ADSL modem etc or if you want both PC's to be able to connect at the same time or just one at a time.
I will assume that you want net access for both of them at the same time.
I have found the easiest way to achieve this is to make use of a combined modem / router.
The one I am using is a D-Link DSL 504 which has 4 ports available and I do have 3 PC's perminently connected with a forth cable spare which I use for repairs or building PC's.
You will need to have network cards in each Pc but most laptops thesedays have one built in and its very easy to fit one in your older Pc.

You will find the D-Link is a breeze to set up. it does it all for you by default.
All you have to do is access it vie your web browser and enter the username and password.
After that evertime you switch it on it connects and you have web access for up to 4 machines.

Also have a look at the ADSL guide site www.adslguide.org.uk where you will find lots of info and reviews.

Hope the above is of help to you.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Hi Got to agree with John a router solution is the best. I'm running W98SE on a desktop and w2k on a laptop no problem. Most ADSL routers now have a firewall incorporated, although some are a pig to setup via CLI.

As your running XP suggest you check any router you look at has Upnp. Two I've used do: linksys BEFDSR41W and Alcatel 510v4 (I prefer the Acatel). Both are a breeze to setup.

N/A

> I have an older computer with Windows 98 and a dial up connection and have just bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP.

Hi Maz,
I was in your situation last August and finally went for an Alcatel Speedtouch 570 router. Great thing about this is that it is designed as a wireless device. IE, you can plug a wireless network card into your laptop and wander around the house, even out into the garden and still surf the net if you want! (Sad but this was important to me!) It handles the network great, and most things are plugged into a the other computer meaning that I can access files and print to a printer connected to the other machine...what’s the point of a laptop if you have loads of cables tying it down?

</b Only word of warning would be to make sure that any router option you go for has a DSL modem built in. /b> Otherwise you will need a router and modem. And just try finding a modem that isn't USB! (You will have to plug a USB modem into a USB port, most routers don't have USB ports)

best bet is have a look at www.dslsource.co.uk. They were fantastic with me when I bought from them and provided no end of help setting up the equipment to work on my laptop. But it really is very easy and worked right out of the box.
Any other questions, feel free to email me:
stevecoleman@breathe.co.uk

Regards,
Steve.
N/A

"I have found the easiest way to achieve this is to make use of a combined modem / router."

I'm not yet sure what a router does but I'm downloading lots of info and will be getting a grip on details like ...

" a D-Link DSL 504 which has 4 ports available

Also have a look at the ADSL guide site www.adslguide.org.uk where you will find lots of info and reviews."

I have been browsing this site and it's good to see PlusNet rates well.

"Hope the above is of help to yo
Certainly is and thanks very much

from Maz
N/A

Hi Got to agree with John a router solution is the best. I'm running W98SE on a desktop and w2k on a laptop no problem. Most ADSL routers now have a firewall incorporated, although some are a pig to setup via CLI.
>
> As your running XP suggest you check any router you look at has Upnp. Two I've used do: linksys BEFDSR41W and Alcatel 510v4 (I prefer the Acatel). Both are a breeze to setup.

This does sound reassuring! I'm particularly glad to hear of anything that might make XP behave itself.

Thanks for your help,
Maz

N/A

"... you can plug a wireless network card into your laptop and wander around the house, even out into the garden and still surf the net if you want! "

I never thought of that - I've got a lot to learn, such as

"make sure that any router option you go for has a DSL modem built in. Otherwise you will need a router and modem. And just try finding a modem that isn't USB! (You will have to plug a USB modem into a USB port, most routers don't have USB ports)"

Just the sort of advice I need! Thanks so much,
Maz

"feel free to email me:
stevecoleman@breathe.co.uk"

Hope you won't regret that!

N/A

> "feel free to email me:
> stevecoleman@breathe.co.uk"
>
> Hope you won't regret that!

I won't! Always glad to share what I have learnt!
BUT, its better if you email me on newsgroups@dancingsteve.plus.com
I have found out that Breathe have gone tits-up and I'm not sure how much longer the breathe.co.uk email address will be working!
(Now would I have told you that if I didn't want to offer help!)
:-)

--
Regards,
Steve.