cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband affected when someone uses the telephone

N/A

hi,i noticed that when someone is on the telephone,the connection is not very stable. Im sure this is due to the filter.Is there a way of preventing this from happening?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to the proper forum.
12 REPLIES
N/A

This happens when you are using a extension kit running from the mastersocket and are using a filter & telephone at the extension socket end.

How is your broadband set-up?
N/A

hi .I m not using an extension from my mastersocket.

The micro filter is plugged into the socket.No telephone line is connected in to the filer just the router which is wireless.

pretty weird
N/A

Yes it is weird, maybe someone who has had the same issue with their wireless router will be able to offer you some help.
Alecto
Grafter

Assuming that you have got a filter on every socket that is in use, it's probably just that you need a better quality filter.

these are very good.
N/A

Is it defo the connection to the web which is affected, rather than the wireless connection to the router?
I ask because the wireless connection could be affected if you have a cordless phone operating at the same frequency (think its 2.4Ghz)
If its is the web connection, apologies and ignore me.... Wink
craigbrass
Grafter

I have had this problem when setting up a friend on broadband. Best way to diagnose it is to pull ALL phones out of all sockets. Then go direcly to the main socket and plug 1 microfilter into it. Plug DSL modem in one and a standard phone in the other. If you still experiance problems with disconnecting, try another spitter, preferably buy an expencive one (hate to say this but PC World have the best splitters even tho they are expencive - about £8-£10). If you still have problems, phone plusnet and they should be able to get a BT engeneer out to you.
N/A

You must make sure you have eliminated all possible causes yourself first though.
Else BT will charge you £50 for the pleasure of coming and unplugging you phone, or splitter or whatever.
I too have had similar experience where certain phones would knock out the ADSL connection with cheaper splitters.
holdtight
Grafter

Craig which make of splitter are pc world (spit) selling ?
craigbrass
Grafter

Not 100% sure as I am not at work atm which is where we use em and I got mine off EBay after I found PCWorld's were good. I think they are Dynamode but will ask when I phone in later to discuss a few things with my boss.
N/A

I started having this problem in the last few months. I have changed absolutely nothing in my setup, it's as though the line has become more sensitive to a phone call being made. Every time a call is made my connection goes AWOL for a while. Sometimes it settles back down while the call is still being made, other times it happens afterwards.

Wierd. (And I'm not using an extension cable!).
Alecto
Grafter

You need better filters. See the link in my post above for top quality ones. Cool
N/A

Hi, I have a broadband wireless set-up. It is affected when the kids/wife are using the phone (DECT/digital) and, when the microwave is being used!! Apparently, this type of equipment causes problems with wireless connections - it certainly does mine!!

Cheers,
Steve. :?