cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bought 8 meg broadband not getting 8 meg broadband

nikosoboushi
Dabbler

My service has just started and I am not happy with it. I opted for the premier option up to 8 meg.. The website states that you automatically get up to 8 meg as standard..however I seem to be getting a 2 meg service, I have just phoned up and straight away the advisor started asking me where it garuntees 8 meg and telling me that legally they dont have to give me 8 meg..!!!Huh? I know my line is 8 meg capable as Ive just had meg with tiscali which I got from he first day..what are they talking about? it says all packages give the max speed your line can handle up to 8 meg..the broadband conection page on the website also states that my provider (PRESUMABLY THEY MEAN BT) is telling them my line supports up to 2 meg, again not true as I have just had an 8 meg service, how do i get this sorted out..! I may well simply cancel straight away before this drags on, Im sick of being conned..

Please help

Thanks
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Without actual figures it is impossible for anyone to comment on where the problem might be. Also just because you got a certain speed with Tiscali does not mean you will get the same with BT (assuming that is what you are on - i.e. on BT Max not LLU).

What is your router/modem syncing at?

What does your stable rate say?

What are your line stats?
nikosoboushi
Dabbler

My stable rate says 2000 Kbps...

Im not sure what you mean about my modem syncing..The the litle flashing computer shows 8.1 mps. The green arrows show:

TX:448 KBPS
RX:8128 KBPS

Hope this helps..
N/A

I assume that with Tiscalli you had LLU, which woorks in a different way to the BT product that most ISPs offer.
The first 10 days (sometimes a little longer) is a training period when BT finds what speed your line can handle.
BT sets a profile for your line, called the BRAS profile, which is based on the speed your modem can mailtain sync at. When you start that profile is set to 2 mb. Be patient and it should go up.

I'd suggest reading the MaxDSL information on the Help and Support site Broadband section, which has a lot of useful information. http://users.plus.net/QL:BC386F76

If you can provide your stats (sync speed, SNR margin, attenuation) than somebody may be able to advise. You'll only get close to 8 mb if you live very close to your exchange though, and the fastest speed is nearer to 7 mb.

LLU uses a different protocol to BT, which has more overheads, but BT gives you more choice of ISP and faults seem to be fixed faster because they only involve the ISP and BT, wheras LLU involves the ISP, BT and the ISP LLU wholesale provider.
nikosoboushi
Dabbler

Yes, tiscali was LLU as I had to cancel an they couldnt give me a MAC code, Im afraid I dont understand any of the technical stuff you mention. Surely the bottom line is that the website states you will get the max your line is capable of..my line is capable of 8 meg, so I should get 8 meg? otherwise Im paying 4 quid more for slower product..oh dear
N/A

You get the most your line can support, which is usually more than a fixed 2 MB service, but the speed depends on your line stats, which is why we asked for them.
Nobody gets an actual download speed of 8 mb/s, that's technically impossible. The best you can get is 7.5 mb/s on Fast Path or 7.150 kb/s Interleaved.

For more information go to http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl.htm
and to find out how to get your line stats try this page.
http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm.

At the end of your 10 day training period, if you are still stuck on a 2 mb BRAS profile you need to raise a ticket saying that you have a stuck profile.
But in order to get any help or advice here you must provide your modem stats.

What modem/router are you using?
nikosoboushi
Dabbler

I am using a BT voyager 105..I am in contact with PN and they asked me to run a BT speedtest, but the BT test wont run, it doesn't make it past the first page..!
nikosoboushi
Dabbler

P.s I know you dont get 8 meg download, In practice with Tiscali I was getting 7.5...
nikosoboushi
Dabbler

managed to run the bt speedtest..

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1854 kbps

Anyone?

Thanks
N/A

@nikosoboushi, what time did you run that speedtest?

I ran one this morning and got 2316 kbs downstream on a 2.5 mb profile!
But I have a heavily contended wxchnage, has been red since September, and last night I got 309 kbs. I don't know how much that was BT and how much PlusNet though.
nikosoboushi
Dabbler

Just ran in about five mins ago mate...
N/A

I had the same problem when i changed from BT to PN i was running a 2meg line no problem when i was with BT but when i changed to PN all i could get was 1mb. I rang them up over this and was told that it was the line could only handle that speed and due to my noise margin thats all i could have.
Strange as i was getting 2mb with BT then only 1 with PN makes you wonder if out of spite BT lowers other IP's speeds.

But your issue is your stable rate is set at 2mb so your never get over that raise a ticket about this but you might just have to wait for BT to raise this in a few days.
nikosoboushi
Dabbler

I have raised a ticket,and they have asked me to run the BT speedtester...I just ran the adsl forums tester five mins ago am im getting less than 1 meg with supposed 8 meg conection I cant use the bt speedtester as its back to telling me this busy...I'm not prepared to battle when I'm paying for a service, looking at this forum I think its safe to say that huge numbers of people are not able to get the service they are paying for..I may have to cancel this shortly..I had NO speed problems with Tiscali..so shouldnt now..this first week of service has been a joke so far..not acceptable..!
shellsong
Grafter

MaxDSL requires a training period of 10 days during which the equipment (hopefully) establishes your working profile. Unless I'm very much mistaken you were first connected only 5 days ago-- you are ill advised if you think your connection will settle down immediately, because MaxDSL doesn't work like that unless you're very lucky!

If you want a technology that settles almost instantaneously you need something like ADSL2+