cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bizarre variable broadband speeds - any help?

N/A

Have just got a new PC, running Vista. As my Voyager 105 modem was not compatible with the OS, purchased an unlocked Voyager 2091 wireless router and set it up via ethernet, resetting the configuration and then entering PN Broadband Plus account details.

Have got the connection working today, but have experienced sudden massive loss of speed for majority of sites. On old PC (with 105), speed was fine, from 5.3 to 7.2+ mbps. Now, on some sites (BBC, Guardian, Reuters) it's still lightning fast. But for 90% of sites (including plus.net!) it's an absolute crawl. BB fault finder tells me that it's down to contention ratios for my local exchange (i'm in Cardiff), but I find it hard to believe that the connection is so much more contended than yesterday when I was using the 105 on my old PC and browsing at the usual speed.

Can anyone suggest where I should be looking to sort this out? Is it just a matter of optimising router performance, or something more fundamental?
14 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I don't suppose you can try the old PC with the new router? Whilst the exchange contention may have an effect on speeds it would be a pretty big coincidence to only happen when you get the new kit.

I'd therefore think it's either a setup or as you say optimisation issue. If you can try the old PC with the router and that's fine then I'd say it was the new PC if it's the same then router.

If it looks like the PC then I would suggest running this test:

www.dslreports.com/tweaks
N/A

Thanks Dave.

Connection using router on the old PC runs at top speed - much faster than using 105. So we conclude it's the PC.

Have tried the tweak tester at dslreports, and made the recommended changes using Speedguide's TCP Optimizer, and then rebooted. Hasn't made any difference.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Is this another Vista-related problem?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Could certainly be a Vista problem, but what I don't understand is why some sites are OK.

Could you try the following sites and see if any of them are OK

www.microsoft.com
www.msn.co.uk
www.hotmail.com
www.ebay.com
www.amazon.com
www.cclondon.com

These are the common sites that crop up with an MTU problem. If some or all are fine then do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware software or pop-up/ad blocker software installed? May also be worth trying a different browser such as Opera (www.opera.com) to see if that makes any difference.

Aside for turning off all the new annoying things in Vista and increasing the RWIN Vista's so far been fine for me, I'd suspect that it's probably something simple but the tricky thing is working out what.
N/A

Microsoft and hotmail are OK, all others are extremely slow.

Firefox and IE7 suffer the same problem. MTU is currently 1500.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Try altering the MTU and then accessing the sites again, a suggested value to use is 1478.

Have a look at the following thread for some more MTU info

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12116
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
alankay
Grafter

You're not by any chance running McAfee security centre 7 on the new machine, are you?
N/A

The PCs from Dell, so it's definitely running a McAfee product - can't check as I'm at work, but it's presumably 7.
alankay
Grafter

Not quite sure if you're talking about speeds in general or the speed with which your browser opens web pages? If the latter, then McAfee might well be your problem. There are numerous threads on the McAfee site about this problem {which seems to affect a lot of people].
This is just one link:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=104993&highlight=slow+browsing

The McAfee fix [which merely makes the problems more bearable!] is to install the .2 version:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=105253

Hope this is of some help Sad
N/A

It's the speed at which (certain) webpages load thats the problem. According to speedtester etc speeds are absolutely fine. I'll have a fiddle with the software once I get back home and see what happens.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Try the suggestion from alankay and also try the MTU suggestions on the thread I linked you to earlier. Hopefully one of these should fix the browser speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

MTU changed and McAfee uninstalled in favour of Kaspersky. Browsing speed fast as you like. Many thanks to all above!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good to hear that it's nice and fast for you.
Any ideas whether it was the change from McAfee or the MTU settings that actually did the trick?
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

It was uninstalling McAfee - as soon as it was gone, everything sped up noticeably. But I changed the MTU settings as well for good measure.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

May be worth feeding that back to the PC's suppliers in case other people are seeing the same kind of thing and they can find a fix for it.