cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bittorrent and 1mb connection

N/A

I've just upgraded to 1mb and my bittorrent speeds have gone downhill. With basic broadband I was getting high end speeds regularly, but now it wont go over about 15B/s - on a 1mb connection - I feel like crying!. The connection is great in other areas, such as browsing and ftp, which are super quick, about 100B/s at least.

Can anyone suggest a tweak that I may need to do to my router which is
a Netgear DM602 Router?

I've tried fiddling with port forwarding, but not sure if I'm doing it right as there seems to be no difference.

Any help out there would be great!

Cheers.
16 REPLIES
keithcalder
Grafter

I had two DM602's and I couldn't get bit torrent to work with any of them ( both were faulty). I ended up changing to a Dg834G after reading on various sites that you would be lucky to find a dm602 that worked for an extended period without breaking down, and the fact that this particular modem had difficulty with bit torrent. A simple search through google should get you the info I am quoting. If I were you, send it back if its under warranty and ask if you can get a different type instead of a replacement 602.
N/A

In order for bit torrent to work, you need to forward ports 6881-6889 at least.

What client are you using? as some need more and some need less. I use Azesus and with that you only need 6881

Aaron
N/A

Dont get me wrong...the dm602 worked great under 512 broadband (inc. bittorrent) and works great in every area other than bittorrent at 1mb. I just can't understand why suddenly it is going so slow.
Community Veteran

The router has to work harder with a faster connection. Maybe that is the issue here.
N/A

I am forwarding those ports but with no significant speed increase...I'm using the default bittorent client for mac. Is it worth trying other clients?
N/A

My router is not the thing I am going to change because:
I've just downloaded a 700mb file in 2 or so hours at 100 a sec.
Surfing the web is just as fast.

So there is nothing wrong witht the actual connection or my router.
So thankyou Plusnet for that.

The only drawback is bittorrent which is still going super slow
even after fiddling with ports. If this is what I know have to live with then I will be definately going back to basic broadband, as this is the service I upgraded for. If it goes 2 or 3 times slower, what's the point.

Bugger.
N/A

oops, censored, sorry for that last comment. I'm just very frustrated.

Does anyone else have this problem with bittorrent after upgrading from a perfectly fine 512 connection to 1mb?

Also I don't see the need to fiddle with ports now at 1mb, when I had no ports open on my 512 connection and it worked very well.

Frustrated :x
N/A

Dont you have any other modems you can try just in case it -IS- the router?
keithcalder
Grafter

I would say its definately the router, just because it worked fine at 512k doesn't mean to say its still working. Are you using the ethernet port or the usb port, do you use a self powered hub if you are using usb as some via chipsets are known not to run a usb modem with a constant need for 500ma, the via chipsets cant always supply the power needed for usb modems when using the usb port.
N/A

sounds like the router is maybe maxing out it's connections?

I use a Speedtouch Pro (now 4 years old) and if P2P is running with unlimited connections the router isn't happy at all.

I have just bought a Vigor 2600G to rectify
N/A

I've got a usb modem I can use, I'll try that - thanks.

I really dont think it is the router though. As I said before, surfing the web and downloading via FTP is at over 100 a sec...thanks for your help though, I'll keep trying!
N/A

Can you limit how many concurrent connections you bittorrent client can have open at any one time?

I would suggest start this off with a low number (15), and slowing increasing in increments of 5.

What can happen is that your client has never wanted to connect over X clients, or never been over Y speed. When it breaks these boundried, your router can fall over, and perform poorly, until the offending connections are stopped.
N/A

Bittorent opens thousands of connections to different computers to download content, thats why its so quick when it gets going. Some routers (i.e the cheaper ones) arent able to make thousands of connections because the processors in them arent fast enough.

The reason you can still download at 100kbsec from some sites is for just that reason you are downloading from only ONE site at a high speed, not from loads of sites at low speed.

Speed per connection isnt limited (it depends how much bandwidth you have available on broadband) with a router but the number of connections at any one time can be.

Hope that explains things a little more.

Andy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

BT is a share ratioed, if you up load slowly your not given priority over those uploading faster. So if your downloading faster initially and still have the old upload speeds then you will eventaully get pushed to the back of the queue until your Ratio for that file is better.

So limit the download speed for a while to increase your ratio in which ever client you use, as most BT clients won't allow you to download at 100kB and upload at 20kB for a length of time.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017