cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best modem?

vic_newey
Grafter

best modem?

just signed up & am getting my own modem, any advice as to which makes are good/bad :?:
6 REPLIES
N/A

best modem?

Here - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q3/pci-roundup/

MRi PDSL01 - which is what i have and my bro as the same setup with his own 2MB, for my 2MB the PCI card is great and PCI is the way to go for gaming, for me and my bro atleast anyway.
N/A

best modem?

yeh it's good Smiley
N/A

best modem?

IMO, you should rather go for an ethernet modem, no need for drivers and no chance of IRQ conflicts.
vic_newey
Grafter

best modem?

thanks guys, checking it out now
N/A

best modem?

i got pci modem when i got adsl and its was nothing but a waste of money, ended up buying a router. pci modems that use conexant chips don't like windows xp, and usb modems can suck too much power from your pc, and a router is self powered and does not take system resources (eg running drivers) like a pci or usb modem

johnathan
N/A

best modem?

Would agree you should go with an Ethernet ... router Cheesy
So long as your PC has an Ethernet connection (many motherboards have it as standard these days), it has far less potential for conflicts with the various OS's out there. And if your PC doesn't have an Ethernet connection as standard, a 10BaseT/100BaseT card only costs a few quid anyway.

Since you're always connected on ADSL, it would certainly be best if you made sure that it contains an adequate firewall function. IMHO, the Draytek Vigor 2600 is a good bet or, if you can afford it, the ZyXEL Prestige 652R Security Router is even better.

HTH