N/A

been moved to Max but can only connect at 1mb/s

here is the info from my router

data rate 6144 down 448 up
noise margin 6.3 down 23 up
10 REPLIES
N/A

I recieved an e-mail on 24/8 telling me thta i will be moved, since then i have been resetting my router daily.

The problem is about a week ago (prob when they switched me over) i noticed my down load speed drop from 240 kbs to about 110kbs, i preformed a plus net speed test and it confirms my conection is down from 2.1 mbs to 1 Mbs. what should I do?

Can i get switched back to normal as i would be better off.

Chris
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

First thing to do is to see what speed your router is synchronising at. Also, if possible, check your snr or noise margin.
Also check what Plusnet are reporting the stable rate as being here
Community Veteran

You certainly don't want to shift back with those figures.
You didn't say what your stable rate was from the link I gave.
If you have passed the training period it should say 5,000kbps unless you were synchronised at a lower number recently.
Edit - I noticed that you were resynching your router every night. I know that this has been suggested before but unless you have a stuck BRAS (i.e. stable rate) it is probably better to leave it connected.
Seemed to work for me having just pushed my synch rate up from 1500 to 3000 in stages as I improved the stable synch rate.
N/A

Your current broadband speed is 1000 Kbps

What does this speed mean?
This is the speed that the network supplier is telling us you should expect on your line. If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.

been resetting the router daily for more than 3 days now and this has never changed
Community Veteran

I would leave your router connected without resynchronising.
Obviously the 1,000 figure is wrong but it only needs one low resynch to mess it up so it is much better to leave it connected.
If things work correctly, after 3 or 4 days you should see a significant improvement.
I would also check your router data rate every day so that you can see if it resynchronises over night. If it does the new data rate is what will fix the stable rate.
If you can advise what is the lowest data rate you see over the next few days while leaving the router connected all time that would help.
Edit - if you maintain the high data rate and the stable rate doesn't change after 5 days then you probably have a stuck BRAS and you will need to raise a ticket to get it sorted.
I have assumed that you have had MaxDSL for more than the 10 day training period. If you are still in this period you will need to wait until it is completed before BT will look into the problem
N/A

looks like the conection reset it self over night.

Data rate 5440 448
Noise margin 11.5 23.0
Community Veteran

That can be expected if you had a noise margin of 6.5 during the day.
It is normal for the snr to drop at night due to various factors including street lights and stronger signals from medium wave radio stations.
I would just leave and see how it behaves. Even with that data rate you should get a stable rate of 4500 kbps when it sorts itself out.
if you want to understand a little more about snr fluctuations this thread may be of interest
link1
Community Veteran

Data rate 5440 448

As holtlane states, this should get you a download speed of upto 4500kb/s, so send PN a ticket and ask them to state when they last had a Delta Report from BT.

You should have had one recently, if not BT has stopped Delta Reports on your line and PN need to give them a kick.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

got this as a reply from plusnet

It appears that the last Delta Report was generated on 05/09/2006 and set your bRAS profile to 1.0Mbps.

Therefore our records show that your current expected Data Transfer Rate is [ 1.0 Mps ]

Customers who have recently been moved to ‘Up to 8Mb’ are likely to experience interruption to their service ‘sync’ and variable connection speeds. Whilst a small number of genuine problems exist, most issues reported to us are in fact no cause for concern and are instead due to the way the product is designed.

etc etc etc

so from this i should have stayed on the old system as i was conecting at twice the speen I am now.

so what should I do?
shellsong
Grafter

As others have said, point out to PN that your normal synch rate suggests that your Data Transfer Rate should be a least 4X the last Delta Report level