cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone tried 2 modems?

vic_newey
Grafter

anyone tried 2 modems?

we have 2 computers networked, computer 1 has ADSL 500 b/band connection with USB modem, computer 2 needs computer 1 running to access the net regardless of whether comp 1 is being used for work.

I know we should have a router to solve this but we have chance to buy another USB modem dirt cheap & wonder how the system would react if both modems were plugged into the wall socket with their own filter splitter etc. so that both were independent.
The point I am making is that if both machines were online, would the available bandwidth split equally? is it possible that using 2 modems might give better speed than 2 computers sharing one? has anyone tried this or is using this?
6 REPLIES
N/A

anyone tried 2 modems?

AFAIK you cannot have 2 ADSL modems connected at the same time - a router or router with built-in ADSL modem allows PCs to share a connection.

Alternatively, if only 2 PCs, network them via a crossover cable and use the Internet Connection Sharing function of Windows - but, as you said in your post, the PC with modem attached has to be on for PC 2 to use the connection.

HTH
Community Veteran

anyone tried 2 modems?

Only way is to buy a 4 port adsl modem/router.

A cheaper alternative is to get one of the 1 port routers that has a USB & Ethernet connection which effectively makes it a 2 port router but it does mean you cannot have any more PCs connected in the future.
Community Veteran

anyone tried 2 modems?

Also be carefull with the obove cheaper suggestion. Not all of the USB + Ethernet modem routers will let you use both the USB and Ethernet at the same time.
I fell foul of this with the first one I got thinking I could do just that.
It turned out that there wre two very similar models, one that would allow both and one that wouldn't Guess which one I bought. Cry

Best bet is to get a 4 port router and as mentioned above you then have the option of extending it to more PC's in the future.
vic_newey
Grafter

anyone tried 2 modems?

they are connected now via crossover cable, am I to presume that a router has its own seperate power imput rather than as a USB type & taking PC power supply?
Community Veteran

anyone tried 2 modems?

Yes the 4 port router is independant of your PC and it does all the connecting work using its own power supply.
You will need straight cables from each PC to the router.
vic_newey
Grafter

anyone tried 2 modems?

thanks for advice,
I am off to computer fair Sat to see about the router.