cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anybody on adsl with Mac OS X?

N/A

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice from anyone successfully running adsl and OSX.

I am connected no problem via a belkin wireless modem and an airport card in my ibook running OS10.2.8. The only problem comes when I do anything related to uploading files - send email with attachment, upload a file to attach in webmail, submit a form on websites. None of these things work. Sending emails with no attachments is fine, all other downloading, web browsing is also fine.

I plugged my old powermac running OS8.5 into the router's wired ethernet port to connect. That gave no problem sending attachments. I logged in on my ibook via the plusnet dial-up and THAT allowed me to send attachments. But, when I go back to adsl through the router... can't send attachments!

Anyone able to give me some ideas?

Thanks Steve
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Steve,

Does your router contain any sort of Firewall, that may also block outgoing as well as incoming connections?

I'm successfully running 10.3.4 on my G5, but not on a router. An Ethernet ADSL modem/cross-over cable. Everything is working fine.

Hope you get this sorted!
N/A

Which web browser are you using? My first thought is some over-zealous popup-blocking in Safari. I'd try switching off the popup-blocking, maybe resetting the configuration (both under the "Safari" menu).

Could also be worth trying a different brower. Does the same thing happen with IE? Any error messages displayed?

HTH,
--> Stephen
N/A

Hi,

Thanks both for your help. I've just tried with the router's firewall disabled - still no luck....

I've been using IE 5.2, but I have had a go in Safari as well. Both of them work just fine when I access via dial up, but no joy when using adsl.

Regards, Steve
N/A

I'd be inclined to check the modem is disabled when using ADSL - i.e. just see if OSX is trying to send on the modem line

Look in Settings->Network where you enable/disable interfaces

If it makes no diff. change it back to what it was - and only change 1 thing at a time between tests.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Steve,

I've got an iBook running 10.3.4 and that works fine for me, although I don't use airport, it sits next to my router so I haven't bothered getting a card.

Have you tried connecting the iBook via an ethernet cable rather than wireless? If it works on dial-up and the other Mac works via Ethernet I would take a look at the wireless networking.
N/A

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for the replies. After much head scratching and asking around I've just sorted it out.

I had the problem on ethernet or airport with the iBook but everything was fine on ethernet with my powermac. The problem turned out to be the MTU setting (I've just learned a new term...) on the iBook. For whatever reason it is different in osx than in os8.

After cutting and pasting a bunch of terminal commands from apple.com, the MTU is now reduced from the 1500 default to 1400 and everything works just as it should.

Thanks and regards, Steve