cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anybody having connection problems

N/A

well it started about 6pm this evening my connection as slowed down to just about nothing so i had to jump onto dialup to write this. Sad Sad Sad

All i'm getting is a continue of received data, i think i'm getting ip attack from somewhere. If so what can i do about it, which in turn kills my contection.

any help would be greatfull

thanks
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

1. Do you use IRC?
2. Have you annoyed someone on there if you do?

If yes to either then maybe flood. Best way to check is with a connection monitor. See what your download speed is registering as. So if your not actively doing anything but it shows your connection at full speed then you more than likely are under attack. So if thats the case then set your firewall to packet log and hope that who ever is using a Real IP address to spam you.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Hi there. . .

If your two green computers that show connection, are flashing constantly then its one of two things. Either someone is flooding you as you suspect, or there's something on the PC that is constantly sending out data.

Do a speed test, as suggested. There's one on the ADSLguide page, but it does require Java to be installed.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Alternatively, use the following test as it doesn't require Java.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test

That should give you an idea of how much bandwith is being nicked. Another thing I would do, if not done already, is install a firewall.
I've got ZoneAlarm running, as this gives you the option to allow / dis-allow internet access to every program that requires it. It also blocks most unrequested incomming connections (i.e DoS attacks, Ping floods, trojan port scans etc...) and in most cases, can give you details of the attacks and where they're coming from.

Hope some of this helps, let us know how you get on and if you find the reason.

Best Regards
Andy M
Community Veteran

I'm not saying to do a speed test as that would fail, but running a connection monitor. As if someone is Dosing you then your conenction is flooded so unuseable as all your bandwidth is gone in the flood.

DU meter is what I use and has shown when I have had a flood.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

ok i have 2 pc's at my home, 1 i only use now and again and this one i'm on now this is the pc it started with the problem.
so i moved my external adsl modem to the second pc and the same happened on there.
And for the 2 little computers that plusnet is talking about, only one is receiving data is being in uses.
So i'm thinking someone is attacking me.

plzzzzzzz helpppppppppppp
N/A

What kind of websites do you visit?
N/A

adp450 i cannot browse to anywhere my connection as just about stopped to nothing.

Because of the possilbe flood i cannot do nothing

plzzzzzzzzz helppppppppp
Community Veteran

think your best phoning PN, just make sure the CS knows exactly what your problem is. As from what you have said it's unclear.
N/A

Hi again.

Have you got any form of firewall installedHuh If you have, get the firewall to log all connection attempts in a log file. Once you have that, raise a ticket to ourselves with that information and we will progress that to network integrity, who will investigate it further. They will then take it further.

If you haven't got a firewall, then I strongly suggest you get one.

Assuming this is the problem, we cannot just change your IP address as your IP would be re-assigned to someone else and they would then get the problem.

Hope this helps further.
N/A

amoxon yes i have a firewall installed zonealarm it is
and it's logged all the ip's. i'm getting loads of data from this ip
and i've noticed everytime i dail in one ip is being logged everytime
so i just raise a ticket and send this informtion on to you do i

Hope you can sort this problem out as soon as possible because it's killing my connection altogether
N/A

Hi again.

Yes, spot on. Collect as much information as possible about the types of incoming traffic. We'll need dates, times, how frequent and any other information about the attacks as possible.

Once you have this, raise a ticket via contact us, giving the details and a short description. I'll try and look out for the ticket and forward it to Technical Escalations.

You might want to mention that you would like it forwarding to Technical escalations, just in case I miss the ticket.

I Hope we can get this sorted.