cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any dg834gv2 router owners run FTP server? question inside:)

N/A

hi, i just changed from a bog standard usb modem,to a netgear dg834gv2 today...

setup was easy, everything up and running within 5-10mins.

only problem i have is that i cant login to my ftp server (raidenftpd) using my plusnet internet IP address

i used to be able to do this before with usb modem...

so now i have to login with my LAN ip (192.168.0.2) but this way i cant perform PORT transfers, only PASV

so the question.... if you have a dg834g and run an ftp server..
can you login to your ftp using internet IP or you have to use LAN IP aswel?

p.s firewall has both ssl & non ssl listen ports allowed, and the data port range is allowed..
even when i set to allow all ports it didnt change

thanks
M
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you trying to access your FTP server from another PC on your local lan (192.168.0.X). If so you can't do this by using your plusnet IP address, you must use you local lan IP address for that PC. This is because your router works in a different way to your USB modem.

With your USB modem, your PC was allocated your plusnet IP address so any local PCs can use that. Your router will be using NAT which means your plusnet IP can only be accessed via someone else on the internet (the WAN side of the router). Your plusnet IP is not visible on your local lan like it was when using your USB modem.
N/A

im trying too access the ftp server running on the same machine..
192.168.0.2 has server running on it.. and only way i can get into it is too use 192.168.0.2 or 127.0.0.1

all is working great for pasv mode transfers, but when i need alternate mode (PORT)

i get

L] List Complete: 470 bytes in 0.55 seconds (0.8 KB/s)
TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
TYPE I
200 Type set to IMAGE.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,2,0,23)
PORT 192,168,0,2,0,23
200 PORT command successful.
STOR blah.zp
RETR blah.zip
426 Connection closed , transfer aborted (transfer failed).(no data connection)

which is a kick in the teeth, because i use port more than pasv Sad

maybe time to ditch router and go back to modem
Community Veteran

In your setup, when you had the USB modem, your PC's IP address was your plusnet one (the modem just passed it through) which is why you could use it to connect to the FTP server. With the router, your plusnet IP is on the phone side of your router and your PC is on the LAN side and your PC is allocated a local lan IP address by the router via DHCP.

The IP address you use should not make any difference unless you configured your FTP server with your plusnet IP address somewhere which now needs to be changed to your 192 IP address.

I would not recommend going back to your USB modem as the router has far superior options and protection as it includes a hardware firewall. You need to find out why your FTP server is acting differently.
N/A

yeh i love the router for its security features and flexibilty, but this problem has wasted 10 hours of my day already :twisted:
thanksfor explaining it so clearly
Cheesy
N/A

typical, 12hrs wasted yesterday with no joy..

first thing i try today and it workedSmiley

basically had too set the ftp app too not use lan ip for lan users,and then disable passive mode in FTP cient forthe local siteSmiley