cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl speed`

N/A

adsl speed`

hi I am a new user of the pluenet adsl self install connection. But I experience rather low speeds (I run winxp) any tips?
18 REPLIES
N/A

RE: adsl speed`

Hi Nick

You should adjust your MTU. Browse to support pages and then More Technical Help. There is a link in the right hand frame ADSL MTU Settings.

> hi I am a new user of the pluenet adsl self install connection. But I experience rather low speeds (I run winxp) any tips?
>

Good luck!

Lyndon

N/A

> hi I am a new user of the pluenet adsl self install connection. But I experience rather low speeds (I run winxp) any tips?
>

got my mtu set at 1458 n my tcp receive set 14180
running 470 down 240 up you'll get info at [ADSLGUIDE.ORG.UK] R [PCPITSTOP.COM]
N/A

dear Nick,
you should not really have to adjust settings, most people can achieve perfectly adequate results with default windows settings (at the times the network isnt breaking down), the reason for your slow speeds are likely to be the fact that Plusnets network is very unreliable and eratic

(PS I know setting MTU to 1458 is recomended but you should be able to get good results without this change and some people mucking about with tcp/ip settings make the PC worse.)
colorado
Dabbler

> dear Nick,
> you should not really have to adjust settings, most people can achieve perfectly adequate results with default windows settings (at the times the network isnt breaking down), the reason for your slow speeds are likely to be the fact that Plusnets network is very unreliable and eratic
>
> (PS I know setting MTU to 1458 is recomended but you should be able to get good results without this change and some people mucking about with tcp/ip settings make the PC worse.)

Judy, your reply to Nick seems to me to be flawed. Nick has already stated that his speeds are low, as for PlusNets speeds being "very unreliable and erratic" this has been true during the recent upgrades but "appears" to have settled down. How altering the MTU setting "makes the PC worse" eludes me, please tell me how.

Nick, there are many users out there that will recommend the MTU/RWIN changes, I am one of them, please give it a go, the programme is a small download and the changes are easy to do.

When you post to any forum the advise will always differ, however I feel this is one area where "most" posters will agree on a solution.

Give it a try Nick, you will not be disappointed and please post back with the results.

Good luck

Kevin
N/A

kevin,

I would have thuought it was fairly obvious , but as you have some dificulty i shall explain.
I said adjusting the tcp/ip settings. which for your info are more than just the MTU value.

and so - iF adjust these settings wrongly ( are you still with me ?) yes YOUR PC ( COMPUTER) WILL POSSIBLY NOT WORK AS WELL AS IT DID BEFORE, WITH REGARD TO INTERNET CONNECTION SPEEDS.
N/A

kevin,

I would have thuought it was fairly obvious , but as you have some dificulty i shall explain.
I said adjusting the tcp/ip settings. which for your info are more than just the MTU value.

and so - iF adjust these settings wrongly ( are you still with me ?) yes YOUR PC ( COMPUTER) WILL POSSIBLY NOT WORK AS WELL AS IT DID BEFORE, WITH REGARD TO INTERNET CONNECTION SPEEDS.
N/A

kevin (cont)
And with regard to the: network

(from plusnets spped test today)
Your current bandwidth reading is:

35.60kbps

which means you can download at 4.45 KB/sec. from our servers

this is todays pathetic speed,
where as yesterday it was around 460.00 kbps

thats what I mean by UNRELIABLE AND ERATIC
N/A

> which means you can download at 4.45 KB/sec. from our servers
>
> this is todays pathetic speed,
> where as yesterday it was around 460.00 kbps
>
> thats what I mean by UNRELIABLE AND ERATIC

Julie - You're obviously having speed problems yourself. Most people that have done the tweaks have had a dramatic improvement in consistant connection speeds. I'm had nothing but consistant speeds since I did them nothing lower than 450/240 usually 470/240.

This is not a plusnet only problem, all ISP's have been suffering from this. It is BT that recommend the change of MTU and they advise ISP's to inform their users accordingly. The BT document if you want to see it is at www.sinet.bt.com the part concerned is document sin329 section 7.3.3

Have you tried the tweaks? After you've tried have you checked they have been taken? As stated above the MTU 1458 and TCP receive window 14180 works for most.

Let me know how you get on.

N/A

> dear Nick,
> you should not really have to adjust settings, most people can achieve perfectly adequate results with default windows settings (at the times the network isnt breaking down), the reason for your slow speeds are likely to be the fact that Plusnets network is very unreliable and eratic
>
> (PS I know setting MTU to 1458 is recomended but you should be able to get good results without this change and some people mucking about with tcp/ip settings make the PC worse.)

if i was getting reasonable results iwould not have altered anything, but i have been steady at around 460/235 for twelve days at1458 download dropped to 100 before.
N/A

Hi Nick

You sorted now?

Since the upgrades have bedded in and the tweaks I have to admit that the plus net speeds are great and consistent.

Kind regards
Lyndon
N/A

> kevin (cont)
> And with regard to the: network
>
> (from plusnets spped test today)
> Your current bandwidth reading is:
>
> 35.60kbps
>
> which means you can download at 4.45 KB/sec. from our servers
>
> this is todays pathetic speed,
> where as yesterday it was around 460.00 kbps
>
> thats what I mean by UNRELIABLE AND ERATIC

Looks like you are having MTU problems your self. Maybe you need to change them as well.

N/A

AS suggested in my earlier reply If you are running XP pro , and a lot of people do ( ie the corporate version tsk tsk ) the answer may be here :
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23090.html
with ref to qos.

nothing to do with tcp/ip settings (or plusnet for the record)

If you are using home edition you can ignore this.

( thanks to plusnet user who gave me this info.)

:rollsmile

N/A

mr or mrs zerox, there is nothing , i repeat NOTHING wrong with my computer or tcp/ip settings.

there is a lot wrong with Plusnets consistency of providing a stable reliable network.
N/A

> mr or mrs zerox, there is nothing , i repeat NOTHING wrong with my computer or tcp/ip settings.
>
> there is a lot wrong with Plusnets consistency of providing a stable reliable network.

Well what can I say....Less pesky users the more bandwith for us........ :rollsmile:

Just for you info...here are my speed tests (after the MTU mod).

Downstream 470 Kbps (58.8 KB/sec) 540 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 240 Kbps (30.0 KB/sec) 276 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Do I see you turing greeeeen Smiley ....just kidding. Its your computer your setup, you are free to do what u like..... doesn't bother me either way.

For you info If you are running with your default settings, trust me changes to MTU and TCP/Ip receive window will do wonders for your connection.