cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl line keeps dropping mainly in the evening

N/A

Hi,

My adsl line keeps disconnecting, mainly in the evening .. I have checked and changed filters, it only seems to have statrted happening since I went on to the 2meg service any advice please?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

There is a possibility that BT have provisioned your line at a speed which it cannot support.

If your modem / router can report your line stats, post them here. Failing that raise a ticket advising support of the issue and the steps you have taken and ask them to do a woosh test.

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

Thank you Mark,

The modem is an old one as supplied with my original plusnet package, a Dynamode so reports, no I don't think so.

It didn't connect this morning(error 721) so I made a call to the support centre and although the modem was showing as veryfying user name and password , it didn't and returned the 721 message. The help desk suggested rebooting the modem which I did and have now succesfully connected. (at 1 mb),

Interesting enough I unplugged a phone line a couple of days ago, replacing filters to try and resolve the problem and for the first time my 'puter showed that I was connected at 2.2MB! (on the task bar indicator).. It is currently showing 1MB connection now, yet if I do a speed check through the plus net facility it shows something like 1.8mb!

Any help or advice would really be appreciated! Should I replace the modem anyway?

Cheers,

Colin
N/A

Interesting.

Quite possibly the modem causing the grief.

I would always recommend replacing any usb modem with a router. Much less troublesome and easier to set up and manage.

If you're in the mood to change and the extra few quid isn't a major issue, then a router is definately the way to go.
N/A

Thanks Mark, I think I'll do that!

My biggest challange is yet to come! We have a house in Spain that we are moving over to in October next year. There are no phone lines where we are (up in the mountains), so I have bought a dircway 2 way satellite broadband system so that I can use VOiP for the telephone and internet. It is VERY expensive to run the cheapest connection being 99 euros a month for 1 512x128 connection so I have involved a couple of neighbours and need to set up a wireless network. The only problem is one of the neighbours is about 1km away and slightly behind a hill! Any ideas as to how far the Linksys wireless access point will reach? (I have bought a WAP because the the Sat equipment has ha built in router

Colin
N/A

Certainly not 1km Smiley . What you want to do can be done, but for it to work with any degree of stability and signal quality you would need kit that is better than the Linksys.

The distance and the hill will cause the most hassle.

If this is definately the route that you are taking, I'll do a bit of research for you and come back with a couple of options. Bear in mind, without a full site survey any recommendations will come with no guarantees for success. Smiley
N/A

I to have been having this same problem, i'm on 2mb and have been for about 2 years, everything was cool until i switched to plusnet, 1st month fine, then this last 2 weeks everynight the connection dropped, I rang the support line who gave me 2 dns settings to put in and although the router connected, I couldn't surf, basically no data would go out or in, until i told it to automatically get dns from isp, then it reconnected and i was able to surn, it drops now and again, I even tried updating my netgear router firmware, nothing doing, so if it carries on i'll shall be migrating away. I'm not gonna ring the support line again because the 1st tie I had to wait 26mins for a 30 sec call, he wouldn't even wait until my router had rebooted for me to check the settings.