Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl RWIN and MTU settings

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Many thanks to all those who have submitted postings offering settings to maximise down/up speeds. I'm still a Windows98 Second Edition user, so perhaps not very representative, however, I have been using broadband for almost 2-1/2 years now and find the default settings for this Operating System best by far! Recently, I've been testing many of the suggested options!

Therefore, the settings I use are RWIN 8,760 and MTU 1,500. I use a LAN connection via a NetGear DG814 and enjoy reliability and satisfactory responses throught the week.......and I've a rather short fuse!

Regards to other PlusNet users
5 REPLIES
fotobits
Rising Star

I beg your pardon, all! I use the maximum values, for my Operating System, proposed in BroadBand Reports, ie RWN 13,140 and MTU 1,500.

Sorry I said default values! Cheesy
N/A

stupid question time , have you altered the MTU on the router as well? since the firmware defaults it to a lower value.

I followed the MTU tweaks as suggested in the sticky and I found using 1478 (as suggested) achived a better result than 1500. I also use the same router, but I run on XP home.

fotobits
Rising Star

Thanks Gadgetboy, I'll give an MTU of 1,478 another try!
Yes, I do adjust the Router setting to the same as the computer.
My speeds, as estimated by adslGuide, are usually: down 58.6KB/sec, ie actual 469Kbps, true 506Kbps and up: 31.5KB/sec, ie actual 252Kbps, true 272Kbps. However, I realise that doesn't mean I obtain my web pages at the optimum speed.
Do you verify your performance with Broadband Reports? If so, do you know what the important values are in the printout and what should be their value?
I suspect that XP is faster than Windows98. What RWIN d'you set?
Info gratefully received!
N/A

Hi,

I got all the settings from the MTU tweaks on the sticky on the start of this forum (see link below)

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12116

I used cablenut to adjust every other setting and Dr TCP to adjust my MTU.
I used Plusnet's speed checker for my speed rating, as every other test will be affected by internet traffic.

My Best download speed is 487Kbps, I also use netstat to record my overall bandwidth usage, max, min and averages. The highest speed record by netstat is 69KB/sec

It gives you an idea, what can be achived with the right settings. Hope this helps.

Aaron
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks Aaron.

Noel