Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoomAir Internet Gateway IG-4165

N/A

Hi

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/networking/0,39023965,10000309,00.htm

I was wondering if anyone had any views on the above named product, Im setting up a wireless network for a friend who currently does not have adsl but plans on getting it in the near future. He needs the network at the mo to allow other users to access the net and does not want to shell out more money on extra kit when he decides to get ADSL.

This is the only product i found which you can either use broadband or dial-up depending on the settings you configure, are their other routers out their which have the same functionality? wireless/dialup as well as broadband.

Also would the normal adsl routers work on cable broadband .ie blueyonder? or would a separate cable modem be needed if cable were to be used

many thanks
wc
4 REPLIES
N/A

Bear in mind the product your highlighting is not an ADSL device, so your friend would have to buy extra equipment when he decides to take the plunge with broadband, either cable or ADSL, depending on which he decides on (and, to answer your last question, the two are completely different technologies, so an ADSL modem/router cannot be used for a cable connection).

With the wireless router you're suggesting, he'd be "on track". Whether it's the only one with facilities for connecting an ordinary modem I don't know, but looking at the price it seems to me you're paying quite a premium for that feature. It might be better to ditch that requirement and look at the vast bulk of other products that would then come into contention, and ones which are better equipped in that regard.
N/A

thanks for ur quick response..

good thng i didnt go ahead and buy it!.. i should learn to read better!

thnks for the advice ill have a look around and see what i can find. i think ill make him drop the idea of dial-up connection and just persuade him to go straight for adsl.

on the wireless side which is a good router to use.. iv seen a few reviews for

D-Link DI-624 54Mbps Broadband Wireless Router and the Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router 54Mbps on the 802.11g standard.. they seem to be pretty good as long as u dont mix and match..

any advice? anyone used these routers?!

thanks
wc
Simon_M
Grafter

You might want to look at the Intertex IX-66 AirSIP. Although this does not have dial-up fall back either, it would let you move between ADSL & cable. It has four interfaces:

ADSL Line
Ethernet (wired)
Ethernet (wireless)
USB

The wired Ethernet can be "inside" or "outside", so you can terminate your cable connection on that inteface & have your PCs on the wireless & USB intefaces.

The wireless inteface has a plug-in Wireless CF card, so that may give a certain degree of upgradability, but you would need to check how much.

I have the earlier model, which is still available, which has two wired ethernet interfaces, each on a different sub-net for added security. I have a network of wired PCs on one & a seperate Wireless Access Point on the other. This is slightly more expensive, but gives me a better wireless upgrade path. I feel that wireless technology is changing too fast to have to change everything just because I want to upgrade my WAP. This would also mean you could go to cable & still have a wired ethernet network connection.

It won't be much help to you now, but an inside birdy tells me that early in the new year, Intertex will have a product out which combines the benefits of both their existing models.

UK Distributer http://www.fordyce.uk.com/
Reviews of both models http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/default.asp
Simon_M
Grafter

The wireless inteface has a plug-in Wireless CF card, so that may give a certain degree of upgradability, but you would need to check how much.
Quote from the Intertex Development manager in answer to a question about upgradability on the excellent support forum for this router:-
We are using the standard Intersil WAP (Wireless Access Point) driver in our IX66. Once Intersil releases a WPA compatible CF-card and WAP driver we can include that into the IX66 without greater efforts.

Same goes for the 802.11g.