cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom x3 modem and lots of problems

N/A

I have the £21.99 a month connection and I seem to be having a problem.
I cannot send items or files via msn messenger because of a firewall problem. I read an article on how to resolve this and it said to use a bridge option. though when i did this it does not connect at all.
then when I try and disable the NAT it doesn twork either.
Could this be a compatability problem with my modem (zoom x3)? or is it the settings which i am using?

every so often the connection stops about every 20-30 mins? why is this
and there is a loud crackling sound when ever the phone is used aswell. Its a new phone so it shouldnt be that. Its a BT line btw.

I cannot work this out and need help! please Smiley
7 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: Zoom x3 modem and lots of problems

I have the £21.99 a month connection and I seem to be having a problem.
I cannot send items or files via msn messenger because of a firewall problem. I read an article on how to resolve this and it said to use a bridge option. though when i did this it does not connect at all.
then when I try and disable the NAT it doesn twork either.
Could this be a compatability problem with my modem (zoom x3)? or is it the settings which i am using?

every so often the connection stops about every 20-30 mins? why is this
and there is a loud crackling sound when ever the phone is used aswell. Its a new phone so it shouldnt be that. Its a BT line btw.

I cannot work this out and need help! please Smiley

Hi there,

MSN generally won't send files through NAT, however they will shortly releasing MSN 6 which works behind NAT (at least for me).

As for your other problem, it is most likely due to faulty splitters (they stop your phone equipment interfering with your ADSL service). Hissing on the phone line is a major symptom of this.
N/A

try downloading/ enabling uPnP this should solve your problems hopefully (download it from microsoft but im not sure where)
hope you find it,
marc
N/A

MSN 6 is available now, as a public preview.

No more hunting down the beta sites.
N/A

ive swapped over to another splitter and it still does the same noise. i might get BT to have a look at it. hope I wont have to pay.

thanks for the help il let you know how it goes Smiley
N/A

BT will only turn around and say of of three things.

1: Splitter
2: Telephone or other analogue equipment
3: Cabling

All three would lead to BT charging the customer.
N/A

ok ive got messenger workin now thanks.
im gonna call out BT anyway and get them just to check the line. I have new equipment and a new phone. not my fault at all, I will get it for free, I will haggle Smiley
N/A

Good luck to you.

BT do not work like that 99% of cases.

BT provide a phone line, and the service placed on it, from the excahnge, through a copper wire, and into a boxjust inside your property.

The face of this box cn be removed by the customer. Anything behind this face is up to BT, but any phone extentions, phone equipment (even rented phones off BT believe it or not) or cabling that goes into the house is yours (again, even if fitted by BT).

If you are charged will depend on the engineer you are given. It all depends how they report the fault. BT call centers will not reverse this charge later (however, they can add it on, if they feel your comments lead to believe that equipment at fault is definatly past the termination point).