Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom USB modems

snapper_mart
Grafter

Zoom USB modems

Hi,
To anyone with a zoom modem, I have mailed zoom with the question below. It may help if you do the same Smiley The best of British to all !

>>>>Installing the Zoom drivers causes the Computer to be unable to 'shut down' Instead it reboots itself and the only way of powering down is by pressing the power switch at the right moment after reboot! The driver also causes teh system to display a 'Blue screen of death' on occassions. I thought this may have been something to do with my own system, but after reading the discussion forum at my ISP, it would appear to be a common fault on XP systems? Is there likely to be a specific XP driver released?<<<<
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Zoom USB modems

Hi mate,
Well driver problems with windows XP, thats not new,
What kind of driver have you installed, is it for windows xp or windows NT, If your pc (windows xp) become unstable and slow after a driver install, can be for several resons, main reason is that the driver is not fully XP compatabile,

It could be another driver on your pc Which is crashing... What kind of graphics card are you using
and the spec of your pc, Etc,

You really need to find out the driver which is causing you problems,
To find this out you need to diable Automatic Restarting in windows,

The following instructions will tell you how to do that,

Go to SYSTEM Properties, click on ADVANCED, go to the heading STARTUP AND RECOVERY options, and then Click on SETTINGS, go to the SYSTEM FALIURE section and take the tick out of
AUTOMATICALLY RESTART, click on ok, and then Ok again close system properties and restart the computer,

Next time you have a system failure, It will stop on a BLUE SCREEN, in there will be driver details,
That will tell you whether the Modem driver is having problems or another driver,

Get back to me with any other info,

IBY
Hardware support

> Hi,
> To anyone with a zoom modem, I have mailed zoom with the question below. It may help if you do the same Smiley The best of British to all !
>
> >>>>Installing the Zoom drivers causes the Computer to be unable to 'shut down' Instead it reboots itself and the only way of powering down is by pressing the power switch at the right moment after reboot! The driver also causes teh system to display a 'Blue screen of death' on occassions. I thought this may have been something to do with my own system, but after reading the discussion forum at my ISP, it would appear to be a common fault on XP systems? Is there likely to be a specific XP driver released?<<<<

snapper_mart
Grafter

Hi, & thanks for the advice, but it is definitely the modem driver that is causing the problem, the system works fine until the modem is installed. I have even reinstalled windows to see if that would help, but it did not. The drivers for the zoom modem are not specific for Xp (they are for NT & 2000), but Zoom claim they work ok on XP, which they obviously dont!
N/A

> Hi, & thanks for the advice, but it is definitely the modem driver that is causing the problem, the system works fine until the modem is installed. I have even reinstalled windows to see if that would help, but it did not. The drivers for the zoom modem are not specific for Xp (they are for NT & 2000), but Zoom claim they work ok on XP, which they obviously dont!

I too get a BSOD with the Zoom drivers.
N/A

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue - I am running XP Pro, zoom usb modem..! I find that everytime I select hibernate and restart after hibernation the system crashes. I have now resorted to shutting down. As for the BSOD, it is definetaly the gsusb.XXX which is the zoom driver.

I have not yet contacted Zoom...! did you have any joy..?
N/A

Yes I have a Zoom USB modem too. I get the BSOD on shutting down occasionally. Although hibernating seems OK. I'm using a laptop with XP Home.

Apart from that the modem seems to work well - good connection. I did spot somewhere else that someone had found that a Fujitsu modem had drivers which worked with the Zoom - but didn't crash XP. I think it was on Usenet. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Cheers

> Hi,
>
> I have exactly the same issue - I am running XP Pro, zoom usb modem..! I find that everytime I select hibernate and restart after hibernation the system crashes. I have now resorted to shutting down. As for the BSOD, it is definetaly the gsusb.XXX which is the zoom driver.
>
> I have not yet contacted Zoom...! did you have any joy..?

N/A

Here is the link to the Fujitsu driver - worth a try to stop these BS'sOD

http://www.ftel.co.uk/products/Rel_1_11_0007Qb_fdx310.zip

> Yes I have a Zoom USB modem too. I get the BSOD on shutting down occasionally. Although hibernating seems OK. I'm using a laptop with XP Home.
>
> Apart from that the modem seems to work well - good connection. I did spot somewhere else that someone had found that a Fujitsu modem had drivers which worked with the Zoom - but didn't crash XP. I think it was on Usenet. I'll post the link if I can find it.
>
> Cheers
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have exactly the same issue - I am running XP Pro, zoom usb modem..! I find that everytime I select hibernate and restart after hibernation the system crashes. I have now resorted to shutting down. As for the BSOD, it is definetaly the gsusb.XXX which is the zoom driver.
> >
> > I have not yet contacted Zoom...! did you have any joy..?
>
>