cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom USB Modem setup or Westell Router

N/A

Zoom USB Modem setup or Westell Router

Like a few others I am am unable to connect with either my USB Modem or Router. Support staff have put a ticket through to BT to check things out but I might as well get things sorted at my end. Has anyone got a Zoom USB modem up & running on XP / XP Pro? If so, what settings have you got. I noticed that someone in this forum said that there were some 'hidden' configuration settings available but I didn't make a note of how to access them so any info about that might help. By the way, the modem has a green light on showing the connection is active and the network monitor program supplied with the modem shows up/down speeds. I simply cannot connect with my username/password, which are definitely correct, (remote computer does not respond) NB the BT Test & Plusnet test logons don't work either.

As for my Westell router/3 Com NCI - I've tried using this in desperation really. XP Pro sets it up OK but with the connection to the Ethernet port it's PPPoE and I notice that Plusnet use PPPoA. The router does have an ATM port too; I confess to not having tried connecting using this, (mainly to prevent myself throwing the bloody thing through the window, but since I have no idea about router networking I don't suppose I'd have got anywhere anyway; but if I can't get the Zoom to work I am prepared to try and fiddle with this, anything to get a connection - so any suggestions gratefully received. At the mo' it just seems I've shelled out £80 for no connection and the opportunity to spend lots of time waiting for technical support on the phone ('waiting times may be in excess of forty minutes'). Someone talk technical to me!
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Zoom USB Modem setup or Westell Router

I bought a Zoom USB modem on Friday and have it installed on an XP Pro Machine. Please forgive me if I tell you anything you already know.

Ther are two green lights on the fornt of the modem which should be permanently lit - one to show it has power from the USB and one to show it is receiving data from the adsl line (this one flashes when it is trying to connect).

When I installed the drivers from the CD, three icons were created in "Network Connections" - one ADSL connection in the dial-up section and two ATM connections in the LAN section.

The connection did seem to work but one of the ATM connections permantly gave an error while the ADSL connection showed a speed of 28800 only.

I read on the internet that the drivers on the CD may actually be American ones not UK even though the installation gives on aoption for UK. SO, I downloaded the latest WAN drivers from the Zoom website using my old 56k connection, unloaded the old drivers, rebooted and installed the new drivers accepting all defaults where prompted.

Everything now works fine (although the modem shows as an ISDN modem). Here is the link for the drivers

http://www.zoom.com/ts1/drivers/5510-72_v1.12.0019Q.exe

Hope this helps
N/A

I bought a Zoom USB modem on Friday and have it installed on an XP Pro Machine. Please forgive me if I tell you anything you already know.

Ther are two green lights on the fornt of the modem which should be permanently lit - one to show it has power from the USB and one to show it is receiving data from the adsl line (this one flashes when it is trying to connect).

When I installed the drivers from the CD, three icons were created in "Network Connections" - one ADSL connection in the dial-up section and two ATM connections in the LAN section.

The connection did seem to work but one of the ATM connections permantly gave an error while the ADSL connection showed a speed of 28800 only.

I read on the internet that the drivers on the CD may actually be American ones not UK even though the installation gives on aoption for UK. SO, I downloaded the latest WAN drivers from the Zoom website using my old 56k connection, unloaded the old drivers, rebooted and installed the new drivers accepting all defaults where prompted.

Everything now works fine (although the modem shows as an ISDN modem). Here is the link for the drivers

http://www.zoom.com/ts1/drivers/5510-72_v1.12.0019Q.exe

Hope this helps
N/A

Thanks. Any info helps. I'll report back my findings once I've got the drivers installed. Any further info from anyone would be a bonus.
N/A

> Thanks. Any info helps. I'll report back my findings once I've got the drivers installed. Any further info from anyone would be a bonus.

The Wan drivers can be found on the CD that came with the modem I also hit snags and this cured many of them. The control pannel additional items can be accessed through right clicking repeatedly on the control panel once open it alows you to reset the modem with out having to reboot and a great deal more.

Also make sure youre USB ports are capable of handeling the modem I had to by a USB2 card to get the thing stable even with a four port hub externally powered the onboard USB's keep falling over the only thing the run happily is my keyboard and cordless mouse the modem on these ports would constantly reset and even shut down completly. XP pro is a pain in the butt watch when unistalling the ATM drivers I had to do a system restore before it would connect properly it seemed to have upgraded but kept giving me errors when trying to connect. I restored to a point before I had installed the ATM drivers and then installed the WAN drivers and alll was well. The only other tips is check youre diconnect if Idle settings etc in windows the default for new connections is 20 mins and diconnect if not required when you first leave it all switched on expecting to find it on in the morning and its not its a sure fire bet that the OS has disconnected you.
Check out www.speedguide.net for tons of useful info

Cheers
Jim
N/A

Well, it turns out that it was BT not doing the wiring properly. It's taken me a month to get connected. I was with Homechoice before Plusnet & the switch to ADSL meant BT turning the working connection off before accepting an order from Plusnet, only this time with a non-working connection. How the f*** do they do it.

Anyway, the Zoom works fine (I used the new English drivers). It works on GCheesyMT & T1.413 & multimode, (I tried setting it up so much that I've ended up with 'configure' habit and it's tough to kick). Thanks to you all for trying to help me out anyway.

Now here's a long shot. The router I've got was left by BT/Homechoice when I got HC disconnected. I'd like to get the router going if I could but the Admin password has been changed from the default. Anyone any ideas what the username/password is for it?