cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom 5551 X4 modem/router constantly crashes

N/A

I have this router linked by ethernet to a wireless access point. Frequently it crashes; the only way I can get it to work again is to switch it off at the mains and on again. It seems to be related to receipt of certain types of spam: when I receive certain email messages the router crashes; I reboot it; I receive the messages from the PlusNet server again and the router crashes again.

Is there anything in an email message that would cause the router to crash? Or do I have a faulty unit?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The contents of email should have no effect on the router unless you are doing something with port 110 on the routers firewall (if it does have a firewall). There is nothing special about the data contained in emails.

What I suggest is see if there is updated firmware for that device as that can often cure lockups or other problems. Try the manufacturers website for updates.

Are you actually using the wireless part of the network. If not have you tried disconnecting it and see if the same problem occurs. If your PC is actually connected via wireless, is it possible to connect via ethernet to allow you to remove the wireless device.

If you are using wireless, it may actually be a compatibility issue between the wireless access point and the Zoom modem causing the lockups. Check for a firmware update on the WAP also.

I would suggest setting both router and WAP back to factory defaults and setting them both up again making sure you have configured them properly.
N/A

As Peter says, there is nothign in the data of a message than can cause a router or wireless access to crash. I suspect this is a coincidence.
Most likely is the router is getting too hot and locking.
N/A

Thanks, both, for your replies. I reset to factory settings and the modem wouldn't work at all: I coudn't connect (using the factory set IP address) either over the wireless network or through the ethernet connection. I think the unit has been failing for some time and has now finally given up.

I've replaced it with a NetGear ADSL Firewall Router DG834, which I hope will prove to be more reliable.
N/A

I use the DG834 and it's pretty reliable. Don't bother turning on the "log notification" otherwise you'll be bombarded with emails about every little ping your firewall gets.