cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoneAlarm Pro Config

N/A

ZoneAlarm Pro Config

Can anyone shine some light on why when testing my ZoneAlarm on www.GRC.com using port testing only 20% of the ports are stealth and 80% are closed, this is using a D-link DSL-604+ Router with NATs enable.

Before using the router i was using the standard USB Binatone 500 and all my port was showing Stealth when running the GRC port test.

Cool
Regards Rudy
2 REPLIES
N/A

ZoneAlarm Pro Config

when yuo have a modem the pc has the live ip address. When you have a router the router is the live ip.

Firewalls tend to stealth the ports so no one can see them and they dont appear to be there.

With a router it has to show the ports as being there so that it can accept incoming traffic but it then uses its rules and doesnt forward anything coming into these ports unless you have the port forwarded, a dmz zone set or it is a reply from an internal request.

Any attack on a port would only be attacking the router. Zone alarm when used with a router is only realy acting on ports that it get from the router and port going out.

It doesnt make much diffrence to your security other than DOS attacks against a known port and these would be handled by the router
N/A

ZoneAlarm Pro Config

Thanks for your reply, how best can i increse my security with what i have at present .

Cool
Rudy