cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Labs Firewall and Internet through a network

N/A

Zone Labs Firewall and Internet through a network

Greetings.
I am struggling to combine the ZL Firewall with my network and wondered if anyone can help.
I wish to be able to browse the Internet through other PCs on my network and, to that end, have enabled the fasility. But such access is blocked by ZA and I cannot figure out how to open it up for this use whilst still remaining secure. I can't see a practical alternative to listing the IP address of every site I visit. It's probably something really obvious I am missing, but...
Can anyone help me?
Cheers!
5 REPLIES
JonW

RE: Zone Labs Firewall and Internet through a network

Which version of ZA are you using? I believe you can only use it on a shared connection if you have the Pro version.

Reagards,

Jonathan

> Greetings.
> I am struggling to combine the ZL Firewall with my network and wondered if anyone can help.
> I wish to be able to browse the Internet through other PCs on my network and, to that end, have enabled the fasility. But such access is blocked by ZA and I cannot figure out how to open it up for this use whilst still remaining secure. I can't see a practical alternative to listing the IP address of every site I visit. It's probably something really obvious I am missing, but...

N/A

Hi

Sorry I cant offer any help with ZA but if you want to try an alternative (which does let you access the web from a networked PC) go to www.agnitum.com and download Outpost.
It's free and has more features than ZA (like a DNS cache, content filter, ad blocker and mail scanner).
N/A

I am using the free version of Zone Alarm which has network options. I have a very limited understanding of firewalls and IP addresses etc so am struggling to figure out some basic stuff. I'll have another nose around the Internet for an idiot's guide and see what I come up with.
Thanks for your advice.
wandelaar
Grafter

> I am using the free version of Zone Alarm which has network options and can share my connection (sadly only ISDN) over my network fine.

I found I had to tick the box for the nework card and include the IP address for it in the 'Security' options (It's under 'Advanced').

Hope you can get it all sorted.

Dave.

N/A

Cheers.
I think the problem I am having is with IP addresses. There is a field under "Security">"Advanced" for "Other computers".
I only get Internet sharing across the network with the entire IP address range specified. If I try individual IP addresses as blocked by the firewall whenever I try to connect to the Internet from other PCs, it does not work.
Any ideas?
TIA.